• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

PC vs. Mac

Started by Shaun Martin, 2007-02-07T19:40:08-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Jesse Cook

"Once you go Mac you never go back."
Ask JR  :lol:
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

Kaitlyn Schmidt

I love the upgrading video. :lol:  Now that is entertainment!  :-D
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

Peter Motyka

Computerworld's Windows expert, has given the final verdict to Windows after 3 months of using a Mac. And the verdict is: "Sayonara." Finnie is known to readers here for his many reviews of Vista as it progressed to release. Quoting: "If you give the Mac three months, as I did, you won't go back either. The hardest part is paying for it â€ââ,¬Â everything after that gets easier and easier. Perhaps fittingly, it took me the full three-month trial period to pay off my expensive MacBook Pro. But the darn thing is worth every penny."

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/07/02/08/2031244.shtml

I recently bought my wife a MacBook and I'm already falling in love with it.  It is more than likely when my current HP laptops nears its EOL, I'll be buying a MacBook Pro.
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Kit

Maybe when I'm rich and don't care about playing PC games anymore, I'll get a Mac.  :-D
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

bandyguy

AMEN To that, I like my games :-P

John

I'm seriously considering getting a Mac, but I want to hear about some of its downfalls first. Everyone talks about how great they are, but there has to be something wrong with them. I was just wondering if any Mac users out there would be so kind as to share the problems that they've had.

As for playing games, is there a free Virtual Machine program out there that one could use to run Windows inside and play games on that? I know it is, although a little slow, possible for a PC to do. Just a thought.

Finally, does anyone know of any good graphical C/C++ compilers for the Mac? TY   :-)
Thanks,
John

Shaun Martin

There is very little software that is compatible for a Mac that can be ran on a PC.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Peter Motyka

QuoteFinally, does anyone know of any good graphical C/C++ compilers for the Mac? TY   :-)
Eclipse with the CDT extension
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

ProtagonistJ

QuotePhoenix wrote:
I'm seriously considering getting a Mac, but I want to hear about some of its downfalls first.
I used one all through college and my issues were minor at worst:
  - Like with anything, first generation hardware can be wonky.  85% of the time it's fine, but that remaining 15% can *really* suck.  Let the early adopting hipsters find all the bad bugs for you.  
  - Networking between WinXP and OS X works, but sometimes you have to fiddle with it.  
  - Your software choices *can* be limited (pSpice?!), but a whole freakin' world of *nix software is only a quick compile away.  For what it's worth, what Mac-native software there is (a non-trivial amount, mind you) tends to be pretty decent.  Or you can always virtualize.  
QuoteAs for playing games, is there a free Virtual Machine program out there that one could use to run Windows inside and play games on that?
You're funny.  Mac gaming is a sad, sad joke (one that's caused me much pain over the years).  On the bright side, my drug of choice (WoW) runs natively.  If you're a serious gamer, though, just build yourself a machine.  Trying to upgrade a mac beyond RAM/HDD is a major pain thanks to tight engineering.
QuoteFinally, does anyone know of any good graphical C/C++ compilers for the Mac?
XCode 2 (current ver) runs gcc4.0 and is free to anyone with a mac.  I've only used it for ObjC and C but it'll handle C++ (or Java, if you're nasty).  I really like it.