• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Ruby/Rails Talk

Started by Justin Camerer, 2007-02-27T10:04:44-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Camerer

So, I have wanted to give a presentation on Ruby for quite some time, but haven't got around to getting it ready. I recently have been in contact with the St. Louis Ruby Users Group, and have asked one of their members to join us on the night that I give my Ruby talk, so he could give a talk on Rails (a web framework for/in Ruby).

I now have some questions hopefully all of you can answer.

A) If you have heard of Ruby/Rails, are there any specific topics you would like to see covered?
B) If you haven't seen Ruby/Rails, would you be more interested in a general overview of the language/framework, or would you like to get down into the code, and look at some more specific aspects of these?
C) How long should an event like this last? Should we split the talks up and have them on different nights? (This may be directed at the CAOS officers, but anyone can reply if you have an opinion.)
D) When would you all be interested in seeing a talk like this. (...assuming you ARE interested.)
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

sparks

I recommend two sessions.

First session (1 hour)
First ~15 mins: Ruby syntax
Last ~45 mins: Writing good OO code in Ruby

Second session (1 or 2 hours)
Ruby on Rails.  Perhaps a case study of a J2EE or ASP web stack vs. Rails.

I would be highly interested in attending if the sessions were to start at 7ish.
Mark Sparks
Development Lead
Monsanto

Brent Beer

Since I'm still new to the whole programming field and only being in 150..would it be worthwhile still to go to this presentation. And by worthwhile I mean would I come out knowing any syntax of ruby, or knowing much about it in general. As of right now I know about Jack and :censored: about Ruby...and Jack left town.
>8{(

William Grim

I'm all for seeing some Ruby.  Show us the way, dude.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Kit

I think you should definitely do a Demo like that video you showed me (I think?!) with the who makes the full featured blog in 30 minutes.

I personally am a big fan of examples.  :punk:
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

Jesse Cook

QuoteBeer wrote:
Since I'm still new to the whole programming field and only being in 150..would it be worthwhile still to go to this presentation. And by worthwhile I mean would I come out knowing any syntax of ruby, or knowing much about it in general. As of right now I know about Jack and :censored: about Ruby...and Jack left town.

If you are familiar with conditionals, loops, variables, scope, functions, classes, and recurssion, you can probably get quite a bit out of any programming language talk whether it is imperative(i.e. C), functional(i.e. Lisp), or hybrid (i.e java).  Bottom line, yeah I think it'd be worth going to even if you only had 140.
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS