• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Please Help Me (CS 340)!!!

Started by pikapp886, 2007-03-22T17:07:24-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

pikapp886

I am currently not doing so hot in CS 340.  Actually, I'm blowing it big!  I could go into the 50 things I have to blame this on, but I'd really discuss my question.  I need this class badly before Fall 07.  Otherwise, I am missing Senior Project and I can't do that.  I am willing to go to other schools, online, etc.  I'm just looking for advice and ideas.  Does anyone think there is a chance of me taking it simultaneously with Senior Project?  Alright, enough ranting. PLEASE HELP!!! :-o

Kaitlyn Schmidt

I haven't taken senior project yet, so I can't give any advice about taking 340 at the same time as Senior Project...  However, I did pass 340 with a decent grade.  Are there any specific course related questions you might have?  I might be about to help with those, so long as their not assignment specific.

On a side note: other than studying, another contributing factor to my success in 340 was study groups.  They rock.  If you haven't already I would suggest joining one.  Different perspectives can really help with understanding the material.
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

Jeff Croxell

CS340 is a prerequisite for senior projects (and many CS electives for that matter), so you will need to pass it with a C or better before you can take senior projects.   Unfortunately it is not being offered this summer.  Your best option at this point may be to discuss your options with the professor, see if you can still pass with a C if you show improvements through the rest of the semester.
Jeff Croxell
CS Support
SIUE

pikapp886

Thanks for the advice guys (and girl).  I have talked to my instructor and the response was "you get what the numbers add up to."  I was told that there would be no consideration for improvement.  Also, I've done the math, and if I get perfect (100%, not just an A) on every single thing: quiz, HW, program, test, etc., I will get exactly a 70%.  This is too big a risk for me not to withdraw before it affects my GPA.  I'm really looking for avenues I can follow to get results.  I know my options are limited, but I was hoping someone knew or thought of something I haven't.

blacklee

I remember getting my test results back in CS 340 - never ever in my life I got grades even close to it, especially in CS/math courses. ): The worst part is, I love algorithms and problem solving. Of course, I don't blame anyone except myself for not putting enough effort into studying. I even considered changing the major.

I have a related question - in order to be admitted to CS graduate program, do I have to take 340 again if I got a C? And a slightly different question - do you think someone with a C in 340 should even be considering a graduate degree in CS?

Devon Berry

Personally, I don't think grades are the most important factor when going for a degree. I know plenty of people (myself included) who get great grades in classes of other majors, but the degree would not be right for them since they have little interest or drive to attain that particular degree.

I suppose what I am saying boils down to, just because someone is great at something doesn't meant it is the right thing for them to do if they don't like doing it. Conversly, even though someone might really be bad at doing something also doesn't mean that they should do something else as long as they love to do it and are interested in improving.

After all, college is meant to help you learn to do things you want to do, not just to prove what you already can do.

Well, that is my opinion anyways.  :-P