• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

For users of MS Office XP.

Started by Admin, 2002-08-23T11:15:27-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiffler

Service Pack 2 is finally out. Get the download here: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/oxpsp2.aspx. The download size is 15,487 KB.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Stiffler

Q: What is Slipstreaming and why do I want to do it?
A: Slipstreaming is transfering all the install files from the cd to the hard disk drive and then apply the service pack to them over-writting the old files with the new. Then the next time the program is installed, the new files will be installed rather than the old ones. There is no need to apply any patches, unless they came out after the service pack. This is useful if a repair operation is performed. The repair will overwrite the new files with the old ones if the cd is not Slipstreamed. This is true for the Windows 2000/XP repair. The service pack will need to be reinstalled if a repair was done. There is a way to keep the Windows CD bootable, but that's for another post.

In order to Slipstream Office XP to SP2, a Slipstream to SP1 will need to have been completed before hand. Also, this can only be done on a Windows NT based system.

If the Slipstream to SP1 has already been done, then skip ahead to the "SP1 to SP2" instructions.

Office XP Retail to Slipstreamed SP1:
1) Download the admin version of Office XP SP1.
2) Double-click the oxpsp1a.exe file.
3) Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
4) In the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box, type D:\oxpsp1a, and then click OK .
Click Yes when you are prompted to create the folder.
5)Make an administrative install point to d:\offxp.
Note: to do an administrative install point, put the Office XP CD in the CD ROM drive, go to Start/run, type "{cdromdrive}:\setup.exe /a" without the quotes, and press enter. Replace {cdromdrive} with the letter of your CD ROM drive.
6) Then use this command:
    msiexec /a d:\offxp\proplus.msi /p d:\oxpsp1a\MAINSP1_Admin.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1
7) Now when update is done, burn the d:\offxp content to CD and you have your own Office XP sp1 slipstreamed CD!!
If you are going to Slipstream to SP2, keep the files in this folder.

Slipstream SP1 to SP2:
1) Download the admin version of Office XP SP2.
2) Double-click the oxpsp2a.exe file.
3) Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
4) In the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box, type D:\oxpsp2a, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to create the folder.
5) Copy all the files from the Office XP Slipstream SP1 CD to the directory D:\offxp of keep the file in that directory after you finished all the steps to Slipstream Office XP to SP1.
Note: an administrative install point can not be done with a Slipstreamed cd.
6) Then use this command:
    msiexec /a d:\offxp\proplus.msi /p d:\oxpsp2a\MAINSP2ff.msp SHORTFILENAMES=1
7) Now when update is done, burn the d:\offxp content to CD and you have your own Office XP sp2 slipstreamed CD!!

I hope you find this usefull. If there are any errors, let me know. I could put this up in the FAQ section. I can also put up the guide to Slipstream Windows 2000 to SP3 if there is a need for it. The CD can remain bootable if it's done right.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.