• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

new job openings

Started by Rick Lynch, 2007-09-04T21:38:52-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lynch

Hello everyone. I'm new to CAOS and am a freshman here at SIUE. I'm interested in finding a part time job with 10-20 hours a week, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on a job pertaining to the field of computers. I have searched on the Cougar Jobline, but no recent openings have come up. I have never had a job before in my life, which might make it hard to get one. Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Rick
Rick Lynch - Junior
Applied Mathematics Major
(Don't let this fool you. I love CS as well!)

Kit

I know this doesn't really answer your question... but for the longterm (summer or beyond) I would definitely hit up the Job Fair. That's how I landed my job at Enterprise. I first did an internship with them and they decided they'd want me full time.

-or-

The Career Development Center (which I think is questionable). While they do help you a lot with your resume and getting you exposed to a lot of different companies, I really was looking for a paid internship, which they didn't have any of. However, if you're looking for coops, the CDC is the place to go.

Meantime... I'd suggest a job on campus since it is convenient, although it probably won't be with computers unless you're lucky.

Good luck!

More info:
http://www.siue.edu/careerdevelopmentcenter/events.shtml
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

Rick Lynch

It answers my question to an extent. It certainly helps me know where to start. Thanks a lot!
Rick Lynch - Junior

Kit

Jesse Cook

Since you have no prior work experience, just getting a seasonal job would really help with getting an internship.  I'd hit up GameStop around November.  They hire 2-5 additional employees per store for seasonal help, and you still get the discount.  Yes, they are an evil empire, but take advantage of the discount over Christmas.

Also, I'd try hitting up the financial aid office and ask about student worker positions.  They'll should send you in the right direction.

That way by the time you are a Sophmore you'll have some work experience, which is important for getting an internship.

Also what Kit said about the Career Fair and CDC.
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

Bryan

First start looking for an on campus job that will allow you to work between classes.  The Office of Info Tech (OIT) usually handles 2-5 student employees and aren't *that* bad to work for.  I know myself, "Bill", "Raptor", and many other CAOS members/officers have worked there. There are other computer based jobs available, such as lab attendant.  I would recommend hitting up cougar net to try and find what's available.

After you get some experience / classes under your belt, register with the career development center for a resume workshop, and then start looking for a co-op or internship.  This will get you more experience.

I personally worked in a computer lab my freshman year, had a co-op my sophmore year, worked for OIT my Junior/Senior year and then finally landed an internship that led to a full time job.  I'm still with the current company and have been for 2 1/2 years.

After that it's just a matter of managing your skills/resume.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Kit

I haven't worked at OIT personally, but I would suggest saving that as a last resort...

Rick Lynch

Well, I have looked around and found a few. A media technician was one, which would be alright. Then there is a janitor job... I'd prefer to stay away from that, lol. Right now though, I think I'm going to try my best to get a tutor/lab assistant job in the math labs. Hopefully I can!
Rick Lynch - Junior