• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Game Development

Started by John, 2007-09-05T11:05:13-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lynch

thursday night or whatever night would work fine, just not wednesday
Rick Lynch - Junior
Applied Mathematics Major
(Don't let this fool you. I love CS as well!)

feyerabend

I just thought before any freshmen do this you should read this link http://citiad.otc.edu/~snyderm/cit125/ppt/AllegianceGameplayDesign1999June.pdf the teacher worked on this project in 99 and is now teaching game design.  Its worth a look at for freshmen any one who has not taken any game design or software design. So they have idea what it takes to design a game.

I thought I'll put my two cents in
Is a Insane Man Sane In A Insane World

John

Alright, Thursday night sounds like the overwhelming favorite. The only issues are that the AB presentation is that night, and I still haven't found an available room. My thought was that we would all meet at the tables in the Atrium of the Engineering building right outside the auditorium near the stairwell after the AB presentation which should get over around 8. Unfortunately there isn't a projector out there for me to display my slides, but they aren't that great anyway. I could probably say what I wanted to say without them. If AB leaves right at 8, then, maybe, we can use the auditorium.

So, to recap, the meeting will be:

Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007
Time: 8 p.m.
Place: In the Engineering building, in the atrium (the large open area on the first floor), at the tables that are closest to the stairwell

Hope to see you all there!  :-D
Thanks,
John

Jarod Luebbert

Jarod Luebbert
Computer Science Major

Brent Beer

Depending on my current gaming addiction, homework, studying for a test on Friday, i might be there? =\
>8{(

Jimmy Prager

Ill be there, unless you dont want a freshman :(
in which case you suck, and ill still probably be there.
freshman Computer Science major,Math minor.

email: jimmyprager@gmail.com

Ryan Carriel

~Ryan Carriel (Gopher)~   :-P

Rick Lynch

I'll try to make it. I will be running a little late even if I can make it. I hope that you guys go for at least an hour or two.

Rick
Rick Lynch - Junior
Applied Mathematics Major
(Don't let this fool you. I love CS as well!)

Brent Beer

Jesse Cook's email is not listed in his forum profile. So, that being said, hold e-mails and wait for him to actually read this or me or someone else to bring his attention to the boards.
>8{(

Brian Pritchett

good meeting tonight, some points of interest:*lots of information over at palib.info. *i would really like to see us use some type of subversion server. *next meeting is thursday, september 20th, at 7:30 PM in the atrium, if you missed the first meeting, come to the second!

Jesse Cook

I updated my profile so that my email is now visible.  It is jescook@siue.edu.

Things we need to discuss:
- Game Ideas
- Platform
- Form Organization
- Officers / Positions / Title
- License issues w/ game ideas
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

Jesse Cook

I know we already discussed this but I like to formally say that it doesn't matter what your level of programming experience is.  Freshman are welcome.

Game design requires more creativity than tech knowledge when it comes to 2d environments & turn based strategies.  Unless your developing a game with cutting edge graphics you don't need to have a ton of experience because there are so many tools that will do most of the work for you.  

Honestly, I enjoy a well made game over a pretty game, and I think that is what we are going for (i.e. Advance Wars versus Saints Row).
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

Kit

For any game you're going to need a lot of graphics (even just 2D drawings) and sound which are pretty important. I'd suggest starting simple and then expanding.

I can offer advice if you guys were going to develop a DS game, but many of you would need to buy extra hardware (assuming you already have a DS) probably ranging anywhere from $45 to $100.

I'd like to help, but my schedule is pretty limiting. Therefore, I think I will only be able to offer advice.
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

Matt Keehner

The extra DS hardware needed to run a homebrew application isn't terribly expensive, probably 60 to 70 dollars, and I personally think it is a pretty solid investment if you're a DS owner in the first place.

raptor

hardware purchase i think is a little ahead of where we need to be thinking at this point.  I think the emulator wil lbe fine for a VERY long time. If we do get far enough along to need that maybe we could all pitch in.
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant