• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Vote for the new CAOS Forum!

Started by Kit, 2007-09-08T10:26:52-05:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaitlyn Schmidt

QuoteWhat about M$ Publisher?

For a forum?!?!? Eh?!?!? :-?  :-?  :-?
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

axe9

Muahaha! I have corrupted more for Joomla. lol Good choice!

There's an extension to do just about anything in joomla... and if there isn't one, you can make one in a few hours. lol, wish I knew PHP better.
CMIS- Spring 08 transfer

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Justin Camerer

Joomla looks pretty good to me.

Lets give it a shot.
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

Kit

I was able to set up Joomla pretty easily on my server at home, so I don't think you guys will have any trouble.
SIUe Computer Science Graduate

Kaitlyn Schmidt

Joomla wins!

Voting is now over.

Please look forward to the new forum :-D
Kaitlyn Schmidt
Senior, Computer Science
Former President of CAOS

Kit

William Grim

Just wanted to update you and let you know that users have been successfully transferred to the new system.  It took me a bit of work to get the forum itself installed; I didn't know Joomla didn't come with one by default.

Anyway, assuming things go well, I foresee an open beta of the new site on Saturday.  The look will probably be a little rough until things get smoothed out, but at least we'll know whether or not the system is ready for prime time.

PS: Joomla rocks!  It has quite a lot more features in its forums that have been requested here in the past.

PPS: I'm up really late here on the east coast.  I'm going to bed.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

axe9

Glad joomlas working for ya. Yeah, it's got a lot of plug ins, but most don't come with it, so you have to go to the source forge and get them. then you're dazzled by how many things you can do, so you download them all. lol.
CMIS- Spring 08 transfer

Jerry

I'm looking foward to seeing the new forum.

If you trying to decide on modules, I miss the RSS feeds and the polls.

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

William Grim

Joomla comes with syndication abilities, but it'll probably take a bit to figure out how to set it up.  The polls should be pretty easy.
William Grim

Kit

William Grim

Just letting you know that I'm still in the middle of this.  I hope to have it all setup before I go to bed.  I'm just stuck trying to get the avatars to work right now.
William Grim

William Grim

After some work, the database ported beautifully.  I'm still working out a few snags though; so, it likely won't be until Sunday evening before a beta is open.  I'm going to be reaching a point soon where I need some sleep.

The primary snag I'm having right now is that while general topics are visible, the post subjects and content are not.  They are there, and I can sneak my way into one.  However, I need to get them publicly visible before giving out the URL to you guys.

P.S.: I'm going to need someone from CAOS to setup the interface.  It's pretty much the joomla defaults with a lot of things removed by me.
William Grim

William Grim

So, I've been looking at the reason why the code tags don't work properly in the Joomla Fireboards forum module.  I have no idea why.  The code for that specific module is really fucked.

The code for Joomla?  Really nice looking for PHP coders, but Fireboard is one big cesspool of amateur hacks.

So, to that end, I am going to reraise this issue and see if it would be alright with CAOS if we go with Simple Machines Forum instead?  I can get it setup and can get started on porting the database too it, which will hopefully be easier as well.  Fireboard uses more of a data warehouse layout, which is a better idea than a normalized database for the kind of accesses we get, but it makes the porting work more difficult.

Let me know what you think, and I'll get to it on some free time this week.  Free time when I'm not at the gym, working, relaxing, sleeping, or working, or working, or working :-D
William Grim