• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

GRE

Started by Jesse Cook, 2007-10-07T21:46:40-05:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse Cook

So...I'm thinking of applying at MIT and CMU for grad school, however this requires that I rock the GRE.  I don't have ample time to spend preparing for this.  Any recommendations on the best route to take to ensure success?  I found this link with a quick google, but I don't know if a program like this is the optimal route to take:

http://www.800score.com/gre-5testorder.html

Any recos welcome.

Thanks
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

my_handle

MIT....grad school....no offense, but good luck buddy. Some stats from their website
Average GRE Verbal score of admitted applicants = 580/800
Average GRE Quantitative score of admitted applicants = 796/800
Average GRE Analytical Writing score of admitted applicants = 5.3/6.0

my_handle

MIT....grad school....no offense, but good luck buddy. Some stats from their website

JR

I think Jesse will be fine, buddy.
Retired President of CAOS

William Grim

The route to guaranteed success is a $1,000,000.00 donation.  At least that'll get you in the door, I'm sure.

However, if you don't have that kind of cash, poor boy, the practicing looks good.  Best of luck to you in your studying!

Maybe I'll see you there someday.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Tony

QuoteMIT....grad school....no offense, but good luck buddy. Some stats from their website

You don't know Jesse do you?
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.

Tony

I so wish I could continue school, and maybe prep my butt off and get into a school like MIT or CMU, but I am coming to the reality that, that may never happen.  I have a child now and I am married and it is time for me to make some money.

Who knows, maybe after I work for awhile I will have to money and/or time to do something like this.  The bad part is that I will have forgotten a lot of my "textbook style" writing skills and I am sure a lot of high level mathematics.  Oh well, that is life.  I guess I won't be taking over the world after all  :-(

Anyways, good luck dude.  I know you will do fine.  If I run across anything that would help you, I will let you know.
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.

Peter Motyka

Quotebut I am coming to the reality that, that may never happen. I have a child now and I am married and it is time for me to make some money.

You still have options.  I too am married and have a child and found a great graduate program at a professional-oriented university.  Most of these universities do not have GRE requirements for entrance.

While you may not impress elite academic types with a degree from a lesser known university, it will do the trick for  career progression and resume strengthening.

Something to keep in mind if you persue this route...  Typically the curriculum are not very challenging or interesting.  You must keep in mind that you're doing this to enhance your career options and ultimately earn more money for your family :)

Does your employer offer tuition reimbursement?
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org