• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

uptime

Started by Peter Motyka, 2002-10-11T13:21:19-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiffler

Can't you just take the guts out of the rackmount and out it in a big case. Then use a SCSI/IDE extender to increase the number of drives that can go on it? The extender would plug into the existing connector that you plug the current HD into.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Chris Swingler

I'm getting my MacSE back, anyone want to make estimates about what uptime I could hit on that little machine?

It's an irrelevant issue on my main PC, I reboot it an awful lot to switch OSs, but I'll try to keep the SE running as long as I possibly can.  

(I hypothesise that a head crash or the raster connection on the monitor needing repair will end my Mac's run.)

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

William Grim

Well, I guess I can work something out on solar then for upgrading OS versions.  I felt it was safest to have multiple drives, but if there is no physical space left, then that's just the way it goes.

It's no big deal overall really I guess if we're safe; maybe I should read more up on the specs of solar now that I'm getting the hang of that thing.

Ph34r Sun Microsystems!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Ryan Lintker

Call me crazy, but I go for maximum downtime on my system.

There's a company out there that keeps sending these huge power bills to my apartment!  I don't like paying hard earned money to run a computer when all it is doing is looking for aliens.

I imagine that my computer uses a decent amount of power when I consider how much warmer my room is when I leave it on to download a service pack or defrag the hard drive.  If I have my monitor on as well, it really gets warm.

Maybe in the cold of the winter, I'll let her run overnight to keep my toes from getting cold while I sleep, but considering it only takes a minute or so to boot up, and I usually only use it in several hour blocks, it just may run only 8 hours a day for a long time.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Kade P. Cole

This is my best uptime so far. Just thought I would share.  :-)
http://caos.siue.edu/modules/my_egallery/gallery/screenshots/UPTIME.gif">
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

Stiffler

Well, here's my current uptime on my PIII 550 running Windows XP SP1.
[img align=left]http://caos.siue.edu/images/forumpost/Uptime.bmp[/img]

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

William Grim

I would show the CS department's new FreeBSD server uptime as it was doing quite nicely.  However, I had to modify the kernel because I wanted it to be smaller while adding some extra functionality that I was either too lazy to do at the beginning or did not have the time to do.

It was like 37 days of uptime.

Oh well!  It won't get above 50 days of uptime for a while I don't think, what with FreeBSD 5.0 working its way out and everything.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Victor Cardona

Man I am bummed. I just blew away 141 days of uptime on my Gentoo Linux box at work in order to install SuSE 8.1 :-(

Victor

Victor Cardona

QuoteRyan wrote:
There's a company out there that keeps sending these huge power bills to my apartment!  I don't like paying hard earned money to run a computer when all it is doing is looking for aliens.

Actually, computers use a relatively small amount of electricity. Besides, seti needs your help :-)