• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CMIS? Computer Engineering? Computer Science?

Started by Eric, 2007-12-09T15:04:11-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

I'm a freshman with an undecided major here at SIUe.  I'm undecided on whether I should do CMIS, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science.  I believe that Engineering would probably involve more of the hardware components and Science would do more of the coding, but I'm still unsure about which one I would be more interested in.  I've heard that Engineering pays more though.  I know money isn't supposed to be a factor in what I want to do, but if the Engineering degree pays significantly more, I may consider it.

I did also consult Jerry Weinberg before coming here, but he referred me here.

Gregory Bartholomew

I doubt that you could get a very unbiased responce from this forum seeing that it's members are mostly from Computer Science.

I had the exact same decision to make when I started college. I was told (by whom I don't remember (though I think it was Eric Stueber)) that CMIS was the easiest, CS in between, and ECE the most difficult. I do know that CS is more challenging than CMIS but I am not sure how much difference there is in difficulty between ECE and CS (you might ask Kade Cole as he has degrees in both). I took the middle road, figuring that I could fall back to CMIS if it was too hard or take ECE courses as well if I decided that I wanted more of a challenge.

Also, how much it pays sounds,to me, like a very good reason to favor one carrier over another.

gb

my_handle

Personally I chose a CompE major because I enjoy programming but I also want to deal with the hardware that the programing is for.  I think CompE brings the whole picture together better then just CS and a lot better than CMIS.  I would suggest taking ECE282 and CS312 as soon as possible.  When I was an undergrad, both were required for CS and CompE students so either way you won't take unecessary classes.  If you like those two classes which focus on digital circuitry and computer architecture then you might favor a CompE degree over a CS degree. 

As far as pay goes, I think that depends greatly on how good you are and what company you work for.  But according to statistics I have seen, Engineering grads do have slightly better starting salaries.  Here are some 2006 stats:

Recent computer-engineering graduates earn annual average salary of $54,200.
Recent computer-science graduates earn an average annual salary of $50,892
management-information systems majors earn annual $43,653
according to a spring 2006 survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers in Bethlehem, Pa. 

Jerry

Salaries for Computer Sci and Computer Eng are very close.

A good source of information about jobs and salaries is the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
http://www.bls.gov/

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Jesse Cook

QuoteI would suggest taking ECE282 and CS312 as soon as possible.

This is a great suggestion.  I would also take CS140 (try to take it with Steve Klein) the same semester.  If your anything like me you'll love 140, 150, and 240 but not really care for 282 and 312.  If that is the case, go CS.  If it's the other way around, go CompE or EE.  As for CompE or EE being harder than CS I would argue that one to death.

CS is more about solving abstract problems, and coding solutions.  It also focuses on developing software to meet the customer's need (e.g. you ever used a program and thought, "What the blank were they thinking?"...well we focus on eliminating that effect as well).  It also has cool areas like Graphics, AI, Robotics (not a big fan of this area :P), etc.
CMIS is more about business using technology and limited code.
EE is developing hardware (I don't really know much more than that).
CE is a mix of EE and CS without any of the software engineering techniques or coolness.

I am biasest towards CS, but if you take those classes, you'll be able to make a decision yourself.

These are also prereq's to both (they are all programming classes that use C++):
CS140 (Intro to Programming)
CS150 (140 + 1)
CS240 (140 + 2 -- Data Structures)
Jesse James Cook
7 Yr Prog, Computer Science
Former VP of CAOS

axe9

I used to be a CMIS Major, but when I changed schools, I decided to do a BA in Computer Science, which ties into a fast track MBA program.

I did this because I intend to go into consulting in the future, and can't stand programming. I'm good at business, and love computers, technology, and how they change the world.

Go into CMIS if you want a more business oriented career.
Go into CS if you want a more software oriented career.
Go CE if you want a more systems design / engineering career.
Honestly, there are tons of jobs in all those careers, and after a few years, the pay somewhat levels out.
CMIS- Spring 08 transfer

Anon

Regarding the salary question-- I work for a company that hires EE, CE, and CS majors into two main job titles, software engineer and electrical engineer.  All else being equal, the salary for someone with a software engineer job title is 4-5 percent higher than someone with an electrical engineer job title. 

That being said, an EE or CE major will meet the education qualification to work in either software engineering or electrical engineering, while CS majors usually work in software engineering.  Either way, the salary is determined by the job you do, not by your major.

Eric

Ok, I'm taking CS 111 right now, but I noticed in the Advising office there is a Bachelors of Arts and a Bachelors of Science for Computer Science.  I know the difference between the two is a minor and foreign language with the BA degree, but is there a problem with employment if I choose to get a BA degree?  I heard I could major with CS and minor in Psychology and use it towards perhaps something similar to interface coding.

raptor

Not sure to be honest with you.  I haven't heard of it being an issue. but CS majors doing a BA are rare. I would assume that most of the time employers will not care whether you took 2 science classes or foreign languages.  May even see that as something different than most candidates.  I wouldn't steer away from the BS. I personally have come to enjoy my science classes, though I do enjoy a challenge.  All personal preference.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Bryan

I'm surprised no one has asked this question:  What do you enjoy doing?

Sure it would be easy to say "this one has the most on average salary", but you may very well be miserable for the rest of your life.  If you really want the most simple breakdown of those 3 majors:

ECE/EE - Creates Hardware
CS - Creates Software built on the above hardware
CMIS - Uses the software built the above CS person*

*Is most likely to become middle management and have a comic created about him...think Dilbert.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.