• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

This is for all those people that think just knowing Java makes you a programmer

Started by raptor, 2008-01-08T11:57:29-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Not to play devils advocate, but knowing, and using, a programming language DOES make you a programmer.

Now, to what degree, and capability, is completely open for debate.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Tony

Why Java?  I know plenty of people who do not "know" Java, but are still really good programmers.  In fact, to a degree, it doesn't matter what language you know.  I guess it does when you are trying to get certain jobs, but knowing any language is just a means of turning your theoretical algorithms and data structures into a physical product.  So, it doesn't matter what language you use, or know, the hard part is the ability to develop complicated algorithms and data structures to solve complicated problems.  IMHO :wink:
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.

Bryan

Tony, I'm not sure about your post.  The article is clearly knocking on people for *only* knowing Java.
Bryan Grubaugh

William Grim

I work with several people that only took a single course in C++ and then used mainly Java for the rest of their university lives.  Now, they work with C++ all the time, and they are excellent at it.

The professors are making the same complaints that people used to make about teaching assembly.  We don't teach that as a primary language anymore, and we still come out okay.

The only real complaint I can see in their argument is that basic concepts aren't being taught well.  This is a separate topic from what language is used, and that depends on the university (see my first paragraph).
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Tony

Quote from: Bryan on 2008-01-08T22:10:35-06:00 (Tuesday)
Tony, I'm not sure about your post.  The article is clearly knocking on people for *only* knowing Java.

Doh sorry, I was commenting on other people's posts, and didn't read the article.  I guess I miss understood what people were saying.

Anyways, to play Devil's advocate, I guess it works both ways.  Someone who learns only one language can become a very good programmer as well.  It is for the same reason in my previous post.  The language is just a means of making a physical product from your algorithms and data structures.  So, if you learn how to solve complicated problems, using algorithms which can be turned into computer instructions, what language you use doesn't matter. 

The only time you knowledge of languages would matter is when you get a certain job that requires the use of that language.  Even then, if you are very comfortable with how most languages work, you can pick up on the language very quickly.  But, I guess it can't hurt to learn all the languages you have access to.
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.

android

Seems like what these professors are knocking is Java's inability to use pointer arithmetic and the failure of students to adapt to pointer concepts and manual garbage collection when introduced to new enviroments...I dont see why it would be too hard to learn pointers if you've already learned an entire programming language.. You learn those basic ideas in the introduction of c++....

Bryan

I don't know that it's really a flaw in java so much as it's a flaw in the teaching curriculum. If you want them to understand a concept, then make it more of a focal point.  Don't blame a languages design.

I think I'll make an article somewhere about how I hate my hammer because it can't handle screws.
Bryan Grubaugh

JD

wouldn't it be true that the more you know the more markeyable that you are as long as the core knowledge skills are in place..
:-x [color=000033]TECH ADDICT[/color] :-x