• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Computer Help!

Started by Grakos, 2008-02-08T15:22:20-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Grakos

Hey whats up?
I was told by my brilliant professor Steve Klein, that CAOS was able to help with computer malfunctions?
I spend the majority of my life on my desktop computer, windows XP
it was top of the line about a year ago, and i had a friend build it for me OEM style.
If there was anyone who could take a look at it and maybe fix it or tell me what the problem might be, I will happily compensate you!
It basically wont start up any longer or freeze when it does start due to "CHIP fan fail" and some other issues.
I can tell you more info if you email me.   ThaCandyMan at yahoo d_o_t com 

p.s. - I'm a world of warcraft addict,  i need my fix, help me please!

bandyguy

I might be able to help. Are you on campus? You can email me with details: bandyguy at hotmail dot com

raptor

Simply sounds like your fan on your CPU isn't working. Thats your BIOS on your motherboard not letting the machine boot so you don't fry something.

Oh and don't post your entire email address on here. Bots crawl this site regularly looking for addresses to spam. I went ahead and changed that for you, so hopefully it saves you some trouble.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

bandyguy

Could be the connection jiggled loose, if you feel confortable opening up your computer, try finding the cpu fan and make sure the power plug is in securely into the motherboard.

Grakos

Ah snap, thank you for fixing the email thing, i didnt even think about the spammers.
Ive taken it apart several times and only unplugged the cords I knew i could figure out.
Ill try the fan cord again, see if that does anything, but I am going to assume it wont be as simple as that.

Ill email you bandyguy, see if we cant figure this out. Thank you for the quick replies. I was almost tempted to take to a computer repair shop, but that never seems like a good idea.

Bryan

Only help him if he plays Horde IMO.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

Grakos

I was waiting for one of you to show up and talk some  :censored:. =)
I have both horde and alliance... mainly alliance... Rogue.
And I dont lose duels.
Ever.
Any of you in Stormstrike battle group?

Robert Kennedy

I would help, but I'm to busy owning alliance rogues in AV with my mage.  I'm on Emberstorm though

Seriously though, if you've got a Core 2 Duo processor, I've got an extra fan if you find that your fan is faulty. Also, newegg.com is about the cheapest place to go for computer parts that I've found if you want a brand new one. 

raptor

No problem on the email thing.  Its what a +4 moderator does  :lol: If you want an easy way to see if it's your fan: take the side case off and fire it up.  It should ALWAYS be on when the PC is on.  If the fan doesn't turn on, turn the machine off. Test the connector and try again.  Simple diagnosis.

Scott
President of CAOS

Ryan Lintker

I actually built a computer last year and have recently been having trouble with a "chip fan fail" message at boot up.  It turned out to be a fan on a chipset on the motherboard instead of the cpu fan.  I found out it was a common problem on my particular motherboard.  If you do some searching on google with your motherboard model and your problems, you may stumble across some good info.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

raptor

Definately very possible. Hopefully if this is the case, and the fan IS working you can go into the BIOS settings and disable the warning.
President of CAOS

Grakos

Number 1)  I have not lost to a mage since they just handed you ice block, so that makes me /giggle if you can kill rogues on your server =)

Number 2) I have turned off this message for chip fan, and turned it on, and it worked until the next restart and thats when it just started freezing up at any random point between that "chip fan fail" message and when my background finally loads up. So I am almost worried to run any tests on it and mess it up more. I would be a lot more comfortable bringing the tower to any of you who have posted about possible fixes.
Or if you wanted to stop by, live off campus with bunch WoW addicts =)
I tip will!!

raptor

If its randomly freezing up its quite possible that a chip is over heating and by the sound of it pretty darn fast.  I'd be more than happy to help you take a look at it sometime.  When/Where are you available.

Scott
President of CAOS

raptor

Oh you could also bring it into the lab when I'm around :)
President of CAOS

Bryan

<offtopic>

The only thing that mages can effectively kill are warriors.

That being said Warriors kill just about everything else without a problem.  I stopped PvPing just after season 3 started. I wanted to get my main hand so bad, but then Archimonde was nice enough to drop Tempest of Chaos for me, so I said screw that and gave up until Blizzard does some fixing.

</offtopic>

As for the computer, just take it to Scott or the geek squad, sounds like this isn't a problem that can be fixed without some serious hands on.
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.