• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Moore's Law Finally Hits Its End?

Started by raptor, 2008-04-17T21:52:39-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/scientists-buil.html

Looks like they finally went as small as you can with a circuit.  The width of one atom.  Beyond this I suppose you would need to go subatomic (dunno if thats possible or not), or things such as optical processors or quantum computing.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

raptor

On a side note, I have officially beat Shaun in post count.  Muwahahhahaha....... :box:

Next, world domination.
President of CAOS

William Grim

William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Bryan

Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

raptor

and by post count i mean post count and still having a life :)
President of CAOS

Tony

I was thinking about Moore's Law the other day and was wondering about how the issue of NP-Complete problems plays in all this.  In AI there are a lot of NP-Complete problems that would speed things up.  So, in the same way that reaching the smallest transistors might mean that Moore's Law has "hit its end", can we say until/if someone ever proves that P = NP then Moore's Law will "hit its end" due to software abilities as well?

I have no clue, just throwing that out there.
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.

raptor

If a robot does the "robot" is it just dancing ?
President of CAOS

Tony

If a robot does the robot, is it even a dance or just moving like a robot.  Which in turn, is the robot even a dance, or just weird people moving weird? hmm....
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.