• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

State of MO uses Second Life for virtual job fairs

Started by Jerry, 2008-05-05T09:21:53-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

I received the note below about IT jobs for the State of Missouri. What I thought was interesting is their use of Second Life to hold virtual job fairs.

My colleague, Jan Grecian, may have spoken to one of you at yesterdayââ,¬â,,¢s Gateway to innovation conference in St. Louis. I was hoping to catch your session but it was at the same time as our CIOââ,¬â,,¢s. Your topic is of interest for a couple of reasons; we are involved in Second Life for recruiting of IT staff, we are building our resources in order to better recruit entry-level through professional level IT employees.

Last year we restarted our recruiting initiatives. To date we have established teams to participate in real-life job fairs at some of the local colleges and universities; established our Second Life site and completed our first in-world job fair and will be conducting another fair in June (which we invite you and your students to attend; current date is June 24th); developed a single-site to provide all open IT job postings for the various organizations in Missouri state government. We are also doing a number of items in the K-12 arena in order to get more kids interested in the IT career field, including a robot being built through the University of Missouri Extensionââ,¬â,,¢s 4-H club. The robot will be used at our job fairs and at sessions with K-12 students.

Jan and I would be interested in keeping in touch with you on any SL efforts and, of course, if you have students who would be interested in entry level jobs here in MO. Our jobs would, for the most part, be located in Jefferson City the state capital.

Our job posting web site is: http://www.it-careers.mo.gov

If students would like to contact us or send resumes they can send those to: IT-Careers@oa.mo.gov

Thanks,

Paul G. Wright
IT Director-Education
Office of Administration-ITSD

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

William Grim

That's kind of cool.  Now, instead of actually showering and heading to a real life job fair, you can just sit at home naked, perpetuating the myth that computer geeks just sit at home, filthy and naked.  Hell, you can now show up to the job fair in a nude skin and not even be arrested or facing sexual offense charges.  What's better than that?  You may even get hired!

Seriously though, a SL job fair sounds kind of... lame.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Jerry

Hmmm, makes me wonder what Mike was wearing when he replied  :)
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

William Grim

Quote from: Jerry on 2008-05-06T06:33:14-05:00 (Tuesday)
Hmmm, makes me wonder what Mike was wearing when he replied  :)

Mwahahaha!  I was wearing jeans and t-shirt.  I'm a 25/F/NY.  ASL?  Check out my SL reproduction of my babalicious self.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley