• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

speaking of robots...

Started by bandyguy, 2008-11-12T17:32:44-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

bandyguy

is there a robotics class available this spring? If so, how does it count towards a degree and what are the prerequisites?

robespierre

Quote from: bandyguy on 2008-11-12T17:32:44-06:00 (Wednesday)
is there a robotics class available this spring? If so, how does it count towards a degree and what are the prerequisites?

You should consider CS 438 Artificial Intelligence. That covers AI more generally, but gets into robotics as well.
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

Justin Camerer

robots suuuuuccckkk. ask anyone, but ross. :)
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

Kamek

I believe AI (CS 438) is offered in the Spring and Robotics (CS 490) is offered in the fall.

Kamek

AI and Robots are both CS electives.  You need 4 or 5 CS electives (depending on if you've been here as long as Scott).  ;)

William Grim

Quote from: Justin Camerer on 2008-11-12T17:46:02-06:00 (Wednesday)
robots suuuuuccckkk. ask anyone, but ross. :)

Hehe, they're much better now that I'm not in a class with them.  Building your own circuits and programming the thing is a lot more rewarding feeling.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Ross Mead

Quoterobots suuuuuccckkk. ask anyone, but ross.

Ehh, I would agree to some degree... (you'd be surprised some of the crap robots I've worked/am working with)...

... but that's just supposed to motivate you to improve the state-of-the-art...  ;-)

The multidisciplinary Robotics: Integrated System Design course is an excellent choice; I've TA'd it for years, and that baton has been passed to Shaun Martin, so feel free to ask us about details (you can also talk to Dr. Jerry Weinberg).

QuoteYou should consider CS 438 Artificial Intelligence. That covers AI more generally, but gets into robotics as well.

I second that.  Again, talk to Dr. Weinberg for more details.

Good luck!   :-)

bandyguy

Shaun Martin

AI is offered in the Spring and Mobile Robotics is offered during the fall semester.

I'd suggest both of them if you are interested in robotics.
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.