• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

2008 ACM International Collegiate Programming Competition (ICPC)

Started by Dr. Stephen Blythe, 2008-09-25T15:16:47-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Stephen Blythe

Hello all,

it's that time of year again! Saturday, November 1 is the regional ACM ICPC (programming competition). For those who have not competed in this in the past, the basic summary is as follows:

1)  you and your team of 2 other programmers are given a set of programming problems to solve
  2)  the team that correctly implements the most problems wins the contest (in the event of a tie, speed of completion is considered)
  3) you have 5 hours to do so.

It is essentially an all day event; we leave SIUE at about 8AM and would get back about 6PM. You get the chance to meet with peers from other local colleges and universities and have a little fun (programming is *fun*, right?) at the same time. The event is free, and lunch is provided. 

Currently we are forming teams (at least 2, possibly 3) to represent SIUE at this regional contest. If you are interested, please plan on attending a one hour meeting in room 2029 at one of the following times:

Mon. 9/29, 3PM
  Wed. 10/1, 3PM
  Fri.  10/3, noon

Alternately, you can contact me (Dr. Blythe) directly through email (sblythe@siue.edu) if you are interested but cannot make any of those meeting times.

-Dr. Blythe

William Grim

*bump*

Some people should definitely take part in this.  It's a great experience and doesn't look too bad on a resume if you do well.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Currently I know of one team (team I'm on) participating.  I was able to go last year and highly recommend to anyone that is even remotely interested, GO!  Its a lot of fun (yes actual fun) you get to think on your feet, apply some process strategy (how to attack these problems as a whole) plus there is a T-Shirt, free food and a free ACM membership.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Justin Camerer

tons of fun. if i werent 1500 miles away and no longer in school, id love to do it again.
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

William Grim

William Grim

blacklee

1500 miles? Justin, are you in NY with Mike? It's not the same here without you. Nobody plays guitar or sings anymore. :(

Mike, I remember you promised pictures, I'm still waiting. Did I miss them?

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

Justin Camerer

yes, ma'am. i am in nyc. but mike isnt in the city anymore. he left the city as soon as i got here, just like he left vim after he taught me how to use it.

DAMN YOU, MIKEY! :)
Justin Camerer
Do yo' chain hang low?

William Grim

Quote from: Justin Camerer on 2008-11-06T11:51:56-06:00 (Thursday)
yes, ma'am. i am in nyc. but mike isnt in the city anymore. he left the city as soon as i got here, just like he left vim after he taught me how to use it.

DAMN YOU, MIKEY! :)

Hehehehe!  It's so much cheaper and quieter up here!  Come live here!!!  We have this sweet train directly to Grand Central even, and we have a cool view of the Hudson river :-D

I'm sorry I left you when you came.  I promise to hang out with you very very soon.  Maybe even next weekend if you're free?

And vim... man, have you used emacs?  I gotta get you into that before I stop using it some day (never).  It's been sharpening my skills at pressing ((((( ))))) ((( )( ))) () )))).

As far as pics, they're on my facebook.  I don't have too many though, but I've been tagged in a few others I haven't posted while here in NY.
William Grim