• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

XFS

Started by Stiffler, 2002-11-03T23:33:01-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiffler

Just a warning: DO not use XFS. It still has some quirks, as I found out earlier today. The file system failed. The HD is still working in excellent condition since I put EXT3 on it. I lost all the data I had on it. Everything I had downloaded over the past years is now gone.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Peter Motyka

Sorry to hear about your data loss...

What exactly happened?  Did it fail with any verbose output?  Good luck with ext3, I hope it *serves* you better.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Stiffler

The only message I got was when I re-booted the machine. On startup durning the hard drive mount, an error displayed saying that it could not mout /dev/hdf1 (I have an add in card) because of the fs is wrong. In the system, I tried to mount the drive manually, but recieved the same message. I used fdisk to view the partitions, and well I know why it said wrong fs. There was no fs. There was a partition, but no formatted fs. Joy!

There might be a way to recover bad XFS fses, but I said, "Screw it!" I'll just re-download everything as I need it. I have an ultra-fast DSL at home, if I can't get everything while I'm here.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.