• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

New website made for SIUE students, by SIUE students

Started by Eddy the Block, 2008-11-27T22:40:11-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy the Block

Hi everyone!  My name is Jay, I'm currently an enrolled undergrad here at SIUE.  Working together with my partner, also a student here, we have a created a new website for use by SIUE students.  It's called www.My-Eddy.com and we've been running it since the beginning of the 2008 fall semester.  We've tried to gather as much content that we could find that would be useful to everyone who attends class here.  Our main goal is to help SIUE students find out as much information about Edwardsville and the rest of the surrounding "Campus towns." We've included an updated student discounts page, a coupons page which actually has some pretty good coupons, and a regularly updated feed showing the cheapest gas stations in town.

Most importantly we've created an online directory of the businesses in the surrounding area.  You can find any business you're looking for, from restaurants and bars to health spas and video game stores.  December is a big month for us because we are going to be actively getting the word out to our fellow students all over campus.

Check out our site and email us at contact@my-eddy.com.  We'd love to hear your input and suggestions for anything we can do to make My-Eddy.com a true asset to SIUE students and Alumni.

Eddy the Block

William Grim

Shaun?  Where are you?  Where's the quip about "no advertisements?"  Or does that only apply to people not currently enrolled at SIUE?

As for me, I say bravo for the work you're doing.  Something like this would've been pretty cool to have when I was attending SIUE.  I hope you do some good and earn some money doing it.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Don't worry Grim I've been keeping a close eye on this Topic. I didn't remove it because A) it is something a student here is working on and B) more importantly this may be helpful to CAOS members.  If it turns into blatant unwarranted advertising ADIOS!

P.S. Shaun is a bit busy w/ his new born daughter
http://caos.cs.siue.edu/index.php/topic,2018.0/topicseen.html

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Eddy the Block

Thank you for not deleting my post.  I'm a freshman and my partner is graduating from here in December.  When I moved down here to start school I was alone for a good couple weeks before school started.  I couldn't find anything on the internet to help me find out what was out in town.  I figured if I'm going to be here for four years I might as well help create a student resource and get experience in my major at the same time.  Thank you for your tolerance and I promise I am not planning on spamming this forum.

As for all you alumni that are on here, we are in the process of working out a partnership with the Alumni Association to post alumni-related content on our website.  Thank you for your support and your comments.  Have a wonderful day!

raptor

We are usually somewhat lax as far as what is allowable content and what is not.  We've had issues before with people posting completely unrelated random advertisement, yours doesn't fall into that category so no big deal.  Ohh word to the wise since you're a noob.  Don't post anything on here you don't want spammed (email addresses) this forum does get crawled from time to time. 

Welcome to CAOS.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Eddy the Block

Eddy the Block

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone had a great holiday season!  We've added some new businesses to My-Eddy.com since my last post.  The holidays really slowed growth for us because the businesses were so busy internally.  We are trying to work out a contest for our fellow SIUE students to win an iPOD or something along those lines.  We also want to sponsor some student organization events to get involved as much as we can with the rest of the campus.  Once we have figured out the details of the contest I'll make sure to post them here for all of you to see as well.

-Jay

PeterSpyr

Thats a very handy site indeed... I cant understate how many times I've been asked where places are etc, so good work Eddy!

Gregory Bartholomew

I notice that there are no Indian restaurants listed on My-Eddy.com.  You might add Mr. Currys Gourmet Indian Restaurant.

http://www.mrcurrys.com/

gb

Barry Whittingham

if your starting a new section for indian restaurants - i prefer http://www.shreerestaurant.com  - its still indian but its south indian vegetarian - far less oily and my favorite as i dont like it too spicey.

Eddy the Block

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the input and the suggestions.  I'll see what we can do about getting an Indian food section up.  Have a good one!

-Jay

Tony

Not sure if you guys are still developing on your site, but I noticed on the pages for finding housing etc. that it is all hard coded HTML.  It might be beneficial to get mySQL and put everything in a database and hit the database with a Java servlet and call the servlet through JavaScript.  You can then dynamically load your page.  It seems like a lot of work up front, but once you get the hang of it, it is really easy.  And after you are done you can easily just add new listings to your database and it will be loaded.

You could also probably look at sites like Remax.  I am not sure, but they could have webserives that you can hit to get their listings and populate your database that way etc...

Just some future ideas.
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.

Tony

P.S. Firebug is an amazing tool to help with debugging of JavaScript
I would rather be hated for doing what I believe in, than loved for doing what I don't.