• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

PoliceSpotter for iPhone Beta Testers

Started by William Grim, 2009-07-31T01:57:01-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

Hello,

I have created a new application called PoliceSpotter (the name sucks and needs to be changed) for the iPhone that lets you shake the phone when you see a cop.  When you shake the phone, it will vibrate and upload your GPS coordinates to my server, and for 30 minutes, everyone within a 1 to 25 mile radius (varies depending on map zoom level) will be able to see this information.  Further, if you come within 0.5 miles of a recently seen officer, the phone will sound an alarm to warn you.

The purpose of the app is to help each other avoid tickets, and it's designed not to require your eye-sight to function it.  I find this very important, considering the whole purpose of the app is to increase safety and decrease traffic tickets.  I have lots of other ideas for it that are on the back-burner until the first release goes out.

The app does have a few rough edges that need fixed up.  For one, it needs a couple graphics, and two, the server-side clustering algorithm needs to be improved.  Right now it's not clustering data, but I plan to fix that soon.  Overall, though, it's ready for testing while I hammer out a few finishing touches.

Be warned: there will be at least one or two client updates.  The server updates will appear transparently to you.

If interested, please send me your email address.  You can reach me at william@grimapps.com or by responding on these forums.  I'm looking for people ONLY in the NYC and STL metro areas.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Grim there has been a lot of talk about apps like this in the tech realm.  Have you thought about contacting any media sources about it?

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Bryan

If you need any testers in the Knoxville realm, lemme know. 
Bryan Grubaugh
Quickly aging alumni with too much time on his hands
Business Systems Analyst, Scripps Networks.

William Grim

Scott, I have thought a lot about marketing after I've seen what it's done for my friend's application, Exit Strategy NYC.  I will be pursuing many promotion opportunities as testing begins to shore up, but I do appreciate the feedback.

Bryan, hehe, the main problem is that my algorithm relies on clusters of people to work efficiently.  Therefore, with only 100 free licenses I can give out, I can only pick one or two major regions for testing.
William Grim

Tangent Orchard

Wow, this is a pretty cool idea.  I don't have an iPhone, but I could imagine how many people would spring for something like this.  Kudos on making it work out. :P

William Grim

Thanks a lot.  The development has been the slow part, as I've been moonlighting it off-and-on while working full-time.  Now the real fun is going to begin as the thing starts to crank into higher gear!

If anyone else is interested in testing this app, please email me at william@grimapps.com or leave a note here with your contact email.
William Grim

Shaun Martin

I can give it a try.

shaun.michael.martin [at] gmail [dot] com

Woot for employee discounts on iPhone plans  ;D
Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.