• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Win2k networking

Started by Ryan Lintker, 2002-10-21T13:46:00-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Lintker

I know this will make me look somewhat dumb and un CS-like, but I am having a problem with sharing files on a LAN using win2k.  I've only had 2k a few months now, and still am not quite used to all of the administration settings that have to be changed.

File and print sharing is installed.  I have created a guest account (maybe that is wrong), shared some folders, set the security and permissions on those, etc.  Still, when I try to access my shared folders from another computer, it prompts me for a password.  No username, just a password.  I really don't want to set a password just to see the folders and would like to be able to share files and folders with others on the lan.

Anybody have this experience before and know a solution?
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Stiffler

You need to go in to user configuation, and enable the guest account. Then make sure that the shares have everybody for read and execute.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Ryan Lintker

I unchecked the little box for disable account, and now I am able to share some more folders without problems.  Sometimes it seems like a lot of trouble to share folders, but I guess if it keeps my data safe, it's worth it.  Thanks to Mike and Jon for steering me in the right direction.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones