• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Faculty Candidate Presentation: Hybrid Discrete Event System and Cellular Models

Started by Jerry, 2009-03-31T09:05:55-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

(Please try to attend this talk. A good audience helps us recruit good faculty --- JW)

THE DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

Presents an Invited Talk by Faculty Candidate

Gary Mayer

Composing Hybrid Discrete Event System and Cellular Automaton Models

Abstract
Hybrid system models â€" those devised from two or more disparate sub-system models â€" provide a number of benefits in terms of conceptualization, development, and assessment of dynamical systems. The decomposition approach helps to formulate complex interactions that are otherwise difficult or impractical to express. However, hybrid model development and usage can introduce complexity that emerges from the composition itself. To improve assurance of model correctness, sub-systems using disparate modeling formalisms must be integrated above and beyond just the data and control level; their composition must have model specification and simulation execution aspects as well.
A unique approach to composing a discrete-event system (DEVS) model and a cellular automaton (CA) is described. These model specifications have been chosen for their broad applicability in important and emerging domains. An agent-environment hybrid model exemplifies the composition approach. The inherent spatial relations within a CA make it well suited for environmental representations. Similarly, the component-based nature of agents fits well within the hierarchical component structure of DEVS. This composition includes methods for integrating the two model types at a formalism level, at a systems architecture level, and at a model execution level using a third model, called an interaction model.

Thursday, April 2, 2009
11:00 â€" 12:00
EB 0015

Mr. Mayer will meet informally with students after his presentation.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Robert Kennedy

Is there any possible way that some of these presentations could take place during a different time block?  Thus far all of them have conflicted with students that have an 11:00-12:15 TR class. 

Travis W

I am having the same problem as Robert.
I would love to attend some of these presentations but i am also in class during them.

Travis

Jerry

Making a schedule for a faculty candidates interview day is a difficult balance between the Provost's schedule, the Dean's schedule and the Department Chair's schedule.

If we bring other candidates in I will see if we can move their presentation time to give some other students an opportunity to attend.

JW
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

raptor

Thoughts:

Presentation style was good, spoke clearly.  Didn't fall asleep from a monotone :) 
Seemed relaxed and comfortable.

But:
I THINK he knew what he was talking about.  It seemed like it.  The problem is I had no idea what he was talking about.  From what I can tell not many other people did either.  He spoke far above the level of understanding most students have.  This was a very big turn off to me.  Something I look for in a potential teacher is the ability to teach, not just talk about what they know.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

William Grim

I think the purpose of the faculty candidate speeches is so they can talk about their research.  This gives everyone a better sense about what they do and if they really know their own research.  Because of these reasons, it's unlikely that most people will understand their topic, and that's okay, because it is years of research being condensed into an hour.

I obviously didn't go to the talk, being out here in NY, but his topic seems pretty interesting anyway.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

I understand that they are to present their research. I do feel it's important that they can present it.  But as a student I'm not overly concerned about the research they are doing, so much as I am their ability to effectively communicate information and pass on knowledge.
President of CAOS

William Grim

Even in an environment where you don't understand the topic at hand, there should be plenty of cues about their communication ability.  Things like how articulate they are, their presence in the room (i.e. dominating, passive, assertive), their energy, their willingness to listen to a question before jumping to answer it, and any number of other cues.  Their ability to answer your questions in a manner that suits you should also help.  I'm sure you can find hints to their ability to teach without basing it completely on how well they described the details of a deep-thinking research problem in an hour.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

You are very correct, and I do agree.  In this case all of those cues were good. But I don't think they will tell the complete story. The ability to bring content down a notch may be completely unrelated to these qualities.
President of CAOS

jieleah

Thank you for letting us know about this information. Well, in my own opinion presenting things like this will help other people increase knowledge. That's just my idea...