• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Boycot Nokia and Siemens shame on them

Started by raptor, 2009-06-27T12:05:31-05:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

I'm sorry I realize they are just making money, but at what moral cost?  I'm not going to knowingly buy any of their products.  You may say that my one refusal won't do anything, but if more people acted even in small ways it would eventually make a difference.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/06/22/1245205/Siemens-Nokia-Helped-Provide-Irans-Censoring-Tech
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

William Grim

Did you boycott Google for censoring content in China?
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

Be quite Grim.  :D    No it has more to do with their software doesn't just block content, it reports who is trying to put content through which the Iranians have used to track down activists.
President of CAOS

William Grim

Hehe, I see you're using the Internet.  You're probably going through some of AT&T's lines, where they do the same sort of thing for the USA.  Boycott the interwebz!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

raptor

President of CAOS

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.

raptor

Yeah, to me, the person I'm talking to, the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, and Fox Mulder.
President of CAOS

raptor

President of CAOS

Robert Kennedy

There's a big difference between what Iran and China are using censorship software for.  Iran is trying to block any sort of direct transmission out of the country in order to be able to put their own spin on what is going on within their borders.  Its a "1984" type of scenario where the Iranian government wants the power to write what happened into the history books.  Granted China could be taking that route sometime, but for now they are just trying to stop people from looking at boobies.  That might be really lame, but I wouldn't classify it as evil.

Personally, I don't see what China is currently doing as any more evil than the annoying "beep" I have to hear every time someone says a curse word on TV. 

raptor

China is doing a lot more than that. They are censoring information comming in as well.  Type in Tiananman Square into google in China and you get nothing.  This isn't to say our government does smeer history in the books either. Iran once was headed to a democratic government and we supported a coo that put a dictator in charge.  We created the current situation in all honesty.
President of CAOS

Shaun Martin

Shaun Martin
SIUE Alumni
Associate IT Analyst, AT&T Services, Inc. St. Louis, MO.