• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Deleting Spam

Started by Jerry, 2009-07-06T16:57:28-05:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Bartholomew

Mark Sands

Yes, that'd be very helpful if you could even somehow do an alias like the wordpress page is currently set up! :D
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

thatguy

#Something witty

Mark Sands

I don't think the captchas are the big issue here though. As we've noticed, it seems a lot of the spam comes from real people.
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

thatguy

My suggestion was based on two ideas:
1) That if we are going to have a captcha, it might as well be interesting.
2) That the captchas are being beaten by captcha sweatshops .

I have to agree with Scott's idea that requires an approval for new member's posts.  I've been to sites that do that and it isn't much of an issue.  The concern about the time it takes to approve a post shouldn't be an issue, an email could be sent to the entire CAOS board.  If the officers can't respond to something like this in a reasonable time, then the issue is with the board, not the system.
#Something witty

Gregory Bartholomew

Quote from: Mark Sands on 2009-07-18T07:59:34-05:00 (Saturday)
Yes, that'd be very helpful if you could even somehow do an alias like the wordpress page is currently set up! :D

Hey Mark, Yah, sorry about that wordpress link being broken.  When I upgraded SMF to 1.1.9, I also upgraded the whole OS on the server.  I need to reinstall the wordpress stuff and recreate the links.  It is on my todo list, along with getting the Gallary going again.  I have some work that needs to be done on home.cs.siue.edu that might keep me busy for the first few workdays of the week though.

gb