• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

SIUC ACM wants to work with SIUE CAOS!

Started by axe9, 2009-08-14T11:09:50-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

axe9

Hey guys,
couple years ago I was on the verge of going to SIUE so I joined this forum.

I'm at SIUC now and the president of the ACM and we have some cool stuff in the shoot for this semester

Namely, we're going to be having a 24 hour LAN party on campus on October 3rd, with a lot of sponsorships. I know some of you guys do the LAN stuff so I figured I'd give you guys a shoutout.

We have a capacity for 80 to game, but our goal for the two day event is to get about 1500 students involved in the various other activities we have going on at the same time as the LAN.

If you guys want to trek down here for that weekend let us know, we can arrange for some accommodations for you if you don't want to camp out at the LAN.

Also in the future, if SIUE CAOS wants to work with us on some events we'd be pleased to hear any ideas.
We're toying with the idea of putting together a conference similar to what UIUC does every year down here. I work with the IEEE on their conference SIUIS every year, so I'm getting the itch to have our own.

My email is bwasson@siu.edu Feel free to bounce some ideas off me :) And sorry for spamming your forums :3

our website is www.acm.rso.siu.edu
CMIS- Spring 08 transfer

arcdrag

Just a couple questions
1.  What games?  Strictly computer or will there be any console gaming as well?
2.  Will it be strictly using SIUC computers or will there be BYOC spots to connect to the network?
3.  Any tournaments, awards, or door prizes?  I'm assuming that this depends on how well the event can get sponsored, but I figured I'd ask. 

axe9

Right now we haven't gotten to the point of putting together a tournament list, nor have we thought about prizes yet.
We currently have done the fundraising for the general expenses for the LAN, and that is taken care of, so now we are in the process of reaching out to the business community and other organizations for donations. All money donated will be put into giveaways.

I'm shooting for about $3000 in various giveaways at this point.

Also, keep an eye on www.salukilan.com as that's where all info is being posted. I just haven't finished putting the website up yet.
CMIS- Spring 08 transfer

raptor

Hey There,

I am currently the president of CAOS here are SIUE.  This sounds like a wonderful idea and I am VERY interested in getting a group of us together to head down.  I am actually in the UK right now but will be home next week.  I'll run this by the other officers and see what they think.  Most likely I'll try to give you a call at some point and make arrangements.

Cheers.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

raptor

CAOS:

Lets go down as a group.  Game Dev people.  Interested?  We can definitely car pool etc.

Scott
President of CAOS

Robert Kennedy

I'll likely be going to the LAN, but I doubt I'll be at the LAN party the whole time. I have lots of family down that way so I'll likely spend a few hours with them.  If people don't mind their ride disappearing for a few hours and coming back they would be welcome to ride with me. 

raptor

President of CAOS

Mark Sands

When is this again? I have family down there too, so I'll go for sure.
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

raptor

Why don't you read the post you lazy bum.  SIUC
President of CAOS

Robert Kennedy

Looks like they've updated their website with a lot more information on the event. 

Travis W

i am interested in going too.
If we do have a group going let me know so i can take that weekend off of work.

Travis

delia feerer

overlord220

Hey, I'm not sure how much is left along the lines of prep work, but I have experience setting up lan parties and managing a lan center if you guys require addition assistance.

axe9

Thanks for the offer!
We'll be setting late on friday night, so if you guys are down here, and want to help set up you're more than welcome.
But don't go out of your way to get down here early, a lot of the group here work for Network Engineering on campus, and we're pre-making most of the cables ahead of time, so there shouldn't be a TON of stuff to do.

So far we have 50 people pre-registered, and we've only started to put up fliers around campus today. So it looks like this will be a pretty cool event!

I still need to figure out the parking arrangements, people in the know at the Parking Division are hard to come by lol.
CMIS- Spring 08 transfer

raptor

I have registered and am in seat 17.  I think there is room for 1 maybe 2 more in my car.  Let me know if you are interested.
President of CAOS

Mark Sands

Scott you left no room next to yourself for me! :'(   The room's really not that spread out, I might be the odd one out and pick a corner :D I'm not a fan of shoulder-to-shoulder lan parties.
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

Mark Sands

Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

raptor

President of CAOS