• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CAOS To Hold Regular Meetings

Started by raptor, 2009-10-08T14:24:39-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

It dawned on us that we haven't had a regular meeting. :shocking:  Not that our events are freaking amazing, but we need a chance for members to get together relax, chat, and geek out.  Not to mention provide a chance for lower class men to meet other members and get involved.  So, here is what we are thinking.  Two regular meeting a month.  Say the 1st and 3rd weeks of every month.  We could have one on maybe a Wed and one on a Thurs.  Hopefully that way we can everyone a chance to show up to at least one.   At each meeting we could have some type of lightning talk where anyone can spend maybe 10-15 minutes talking about cool project they are working on, show a neat technology they've found, or we could watch a cool geek movie or show.  This would be followed or preceeded by some "CAOS business"  where we talk about upcoming events, ideas etc.   All of this would of course be a very open forum style.  Not really presentations per say.

I would love to get some feedback from everyone.  Times, ideas, anything you would like to contribute.

I think we may lead off with me talking about the Neural Net research I did at Oxford over the summer, and show everyone how to use NN code.  Seriously this would be a very simple talk, and even freshmen could show up download the code and then start using Neural Nets on their own.   Remember the idea is that EVERYONE can be involved.

-Scott

President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Mark Sands

Even though I was already aware of the fact, I am a fan of this idea. In order for caos to be an organization and get involved with its members, regular meetings are pretty much a must-have occurrence. Meeting times are arbitrary, as long as everyone can show up to at least 1 meeting a month. Also, the idea of lightning talk at each meeting would be very open scope. Anyone can come prepared to shout out some cool tricks, no one needs to be contacted before hand. Just show up ready to "wow" the crowd. I am in favor of this and so should you.
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

Jarod Luebbert

Jarod Luebbert
Computer Science Major

Ike

Sounds good, I was wondering what happend to the meetings.

Do you not have enough stuff to do for weekly meetings?

raptor

Not sure we have quite enough for weekly meetings, unless people were interested enough and had enough to talk about.  The reality is when we start someone(s) need to bring something to show off.
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Ike

Well, I'm new to the CS department.

I have nothing to show off, but I would sure attend every week.

Robert Kennedy

Assuming there's a good turnout, optimal meeting times should probably be discussed after the presentation on Tuesday.  Also, I like Scott's suggestions.  If having an industry professional come in to present a certain technology on a monthly basis is going to become the norm, then the second meeting each month should be more focused on projects that students are working on. 

Chris Oliver

I'm on board with this and might have things to talk about linux and python wise for a small talk now and then.

delia feerer

Tyler Smallman

We should work on there being food at these meetings too. :0

Adam C

Sounds good to me, I'd be there. I really like the lightening talk idea!

Gary Mayer

Quote from: Tyler Smallman on 2009-10-12T18:59:28-05:00 (Monday)
We should work on there being food at these meetings too. :0

I knew we'd find someone to volunteer for the Quartermaster position.  :pirate: Thanks, Tyler!
-- Malekith

The higher, the fewer, Doctor. The higher it goes, the fewer.