• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Chris Lintott to speak about Galaxy Zoo - Tuesday Oct. 27th!

Started by Jarod Luebbert, 2009-10-23T17:30:29-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarod Luebbert

Hey guys,

I know this is short notice but Chris Lintott (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Lintott) will be at SIUE this Tuesday and would like to speak about galaxy zoo (http://www.galaxyzoo.org). Galaxy Zoo is the largest online citizen science project with over 240,000 registered users. Please stop by! Chris is a great guy and has done some pretty amazing things.

The room is SL 0225 (basement). Ideally the talk would start around 1:00PM on Tuesday. I'll update this with more information once we get things squared away.
Jarod Luebbert
Computer Science Major

raptor

I just spoke with Chris last night.  This should be very interesting.  He will talk about GalaxyZoo, Citizen Science, and how it and Artificial Intelligence should co exists in a mutually beneficial manner in the future.

Scott
President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Robert Kennedy

I would normally skip Chemistry to go to this, but we just finished up a chapter today in lecture so we're virtually guaranteed a quiz tomorrow.  If the discussion is still going on when I get out of class I'll be there a bit late. 

raptor

President of CAOS
Software Engineer NASA Nspires/Roses Grant

Jarod Luebbert

For those of you that need a little more convincing, Dr. Gay just sent out this information:

QuoteTomorrow Dr Chris Lintott will be giving a talk at 1pm in SL 0225. The talk is organized by the Computer Association of SIUE (CAOS). For those of you who don't know Chris, he is a Researcher at Oxford University and director of the Citizen Science Alliance, the collaboration behind Galaxy Zoo. He is also co-host of BBC Sky at Night with Sir Patrick Moore.

Time: 1pm Tuesday October 27
Place: SL 0225 (The room Sci 241 is taught in)

Title: Citizen Science for All: Galaxy Zoo for All
Abstract: The Galaxy Zoo project's scientific results - which include a new understanding of the relationship between star formation and black holes, along with the discovery of 'peas' in space - have shown that novel research can result from the efforts of 250,000 volunteers. Inspired by the upcoming expansion to new projects, both in astronomy and in planetary science, oceanography and classics, Chris will reflect on the challenge of ensuring that such citizen science can interact with the developing capabilities of machine learning.

Hope to see all of you there!
Jarod Luebbert
Computer Science Major

Tangent Orchard

How'd it go?  I had class at the time and wasn't able to attend.

Jarod Luebbert

I think it went really well. Chris is a great speaker and it's always interesting to hear what he has to say. We should have video up soon.
Jarod Luebbert
Computer Science Major

Mark Sands

I'll try and have this video posted sooner than the other ones currently backed up. If you missed this talk then I really recommend watching it because it was awesome.
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major

Mark Sands

The video is now posted under the LOTM page. Or you can also view it here: http://vimeo.com/7372894
Mark Sands
Computer Science Major