• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CS Server Maintenance

Started by Admin, 2009-11-20T10:25:06-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

FYI, some maintenance (backups, hardware and software upgrades, reconfiguration) is scheduled to be done for the CS servers over Thanksgiving break.  This site, among others, is expected to be down for hours at a time.  I will reply to this thread to let everyone know when the work is done.  Feel free to continue using this site and other CS services when they are up during the maintenance period.  There will be times when all the sites are down and then there will be times when I am working only on a few.

:bluescreen:

Admin

OK, All the CS servers should be back online except for git.cs.siue.edu.  I'm working on git.cs.siue.edu right now but I don't know how long it will take to devise a workaround to the current problem.  If anyone has a git repository stored on git.cs.siue.edu that they need access to right way, just email cs-support and I will give you a local copy of the repository from which you can work until I get git going again (more accurately, I'll copy the git repository from git.cs.siue.edu to the home directory of the e-id which owns the git repository).

gb

P.S. - The CS servers will be shut down again at 5:00 PM today and not brought back online until 5:00 PM Saturday due to a campus-wide power outage that is scheduled for Saturday.

Admin

OK, git.cs.siue.edu should is working again. And it is FAST too.  Check out the download speed shown below -- 11435 KiB/s for 176.53 MiB.

[user@eb2024-00 ~]$ git clone www@git.cs.siue.edu:master
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/user/master/.git/
www@git.cs.siue.edu's password:
remote: Counting objects: 2685, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2133/2133), done.
remote: Total 2685 (delta 702), reused 2363 (delta 514)
Receiving objects: 100% (2685/2685), 176.53 MiB | 11435 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (702/702), done.
Checking out files: 100% (2076/2076), done.

Note that 11435 KiB/s is 11435/1024 = 11.2 MiB/s where the limit of a 100 Mbit/s network is 11.9 MiB/s.  The whole thing (the CS web site = 381 MB uncompressed) downloaded in about 12 seconds.  Of course there is almost no "noise" on the network right now due to most of the computers in the building being turned off.  Still, it is nice to see that the server is capable of saturating the network line.

Anyway, everything "should" be working correctly now.  As always, e-mail cs-support when you find something that doesn't work.  Now I'm off to turn all the servers I just got working off until 5 PM Saturday due to the scheduled power outage.

gb