• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Fox TV: "You paid for it" - SIUE Renovations

Started by Travis, 2002-12-02T03:15:49-06:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

Anybody else catch "You Paid for it" on Fox Sunday night (Dec 1st)?
Apparently SIUE's renovations caught their attention (most notably the dean's office);

They mentioned that SIUE had estimated $65,000 for renovations for the Dean's Office (And the attached patio).  Well, it turns out that it cost $109,000+ for the office alone (the patio wasn't done - it got cancelled). :-o

The SIUE spokesperson said that the estimated $65,000 didn't include things like "lighting fixtures" and other stuff.  The spokesperson also mentioned that "students use the dean's office, too" (when they come to talk to the dean).

Elliot Davis pointed out it was $40,000 over the estimate, and also that tuition has increased by 8%. :-o
They also interviewed a student (Cory Wellum?) about what he thought: he said something like 'it could have been used to update computer labs'.

The dean wasn't available for an interview.

At the end they gave David Werner's (?) phone number out ("Tell him what you think, after all, you paid for it!")

PS: The Dean has a pretty sweet office now. :-o

Stiffler

That was a repeat, because I remember that story from a while ago. Oh, well. Just don't get Quade started on about the MUC renovations.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Travis

Actually, it was a followup.

Chris Swingler

I remember it getting mentioned in the Alestle early this semester.

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Ryan Lintker

I have to say that I usually have thought that Elliot Davis is on the right track, but when he was attacking my school, my opinions changed.  Now I know how some of those poor folks he tracks down feel about him and his special little segment.  There definately is waste at this school.  There are definately times when students don't get their money's worth (Has anybody eaten at the UC lately?)  Maybe the spending at the Dean's office got a little out of hand.  I don't know how much of that is really the school's fault though.  I have the feeling that many large contractors shoot a low bid in order to get a contract, and then pad their pockets when something unexpected occurs on the job.  These renovations were approved and the money came out of the budget last year, before the big crunch came along.  $40,000 is a boat load of money for most college students, but when you consider the bargain that we are getting for an education, it should be hard for a student to complain too loudly.  Then again, Elliot isn't an SIUE student.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Victor Cardona

Spending over $100,000 on renovations for the dean's office is absurd. Especially when you consider that we are paying more to go here when the quality of education has not improved. We as students shoud be up in arms. After all we will be paying for it in loans and interest.

Victor