• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

SmartFTP

Started by R. Andrew Lamonica, 2002-08-30T02:01:42-05:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

R. Andrew Lamonica

While I am recommending communications software, I have an FTP client to suggest.  SmartFTP is my current favorite way to download files from FTP sites.  It is not as easy to use as CuteFTP or IE’s FTP engine, but it is much more powerful.  It gets updated frequently, has an ok queue system, implements an interesting MDI technique and supports FTP over SSL.  There are a great number of features strewn across its not so idiot friendly interface, but I am confident that it is a good FTP client for techies everywhere.  Of course, the price is unbeatable. FREE.

SmartFTP

Stiffler

Isn't that the client the CS department has on their computers? It looks very interesting. I need to find time to work on a client. I'm making the GUI with Visual C# and the guts are in C++. Although I do like the command line FTP Client NcFTP. It, too, is free. To me command line clients are less confusing, and more simple. That's why my client will have a very simple GUI. I'm working on the GUI, so when I get a stable version of it I'll post some screens.

Jon

PS. If anyone would like to help please contact me. I could put this up on Grim's CAOS Forgery. That reminds me that I need to link to his site.
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

R. Andrew Lamonica

Yse, this client is on the CD Dept's Lab Computer Image.  Greg was kind enough to add it and putty a few semesters ago at my request.  He even setup batch files for putty so that people (like myself) who like to just type â€Ã...“ssh hostnameâ€Ã, into the run menu can use it quickly.

Although I have to disagree with you that remembering typed commands is simpler than remembering how to drag files from one window to another, I think it is very interesting that you are writing an FTP client.  Are you planning to use a module to provide the underlying FTP standards compliance or are you going to write your own with sockets.  If you are writing your own, I suggest you use c# for that or at least â€Ã...“Managed c++â€Ã, so that you can more easily integrate with your c# interface and so you can make your program 100% .NET (for cross platform compatibility.)

Stiffler

Sorry, I ment the looks of the interface. There is a lot of icons and stuff on Smart FTP. Sometimes it seems like it blurrs together. On NcFTP, it's just a flashing cursor at a text prompt. A lot less going on. That's what I ment. Yeah, there are commands to remember, but at the ncftp> prompt you can type "help", and see the list of commands. However, you do need to remember that "help" exist rather than clicking on a button labled "Help".

Jon

Stiffler

I already know all the syntax to do a C++ lib for the ftp commands. Is there a way I can get the C# equivalent for the C++ syntax? C# has everything in a different namespace. MSDN Library, here I come.

That is a good idea to use C# for everything.

Jon