• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Java at SIUE?

Started by Guest, 2003-01-04T23:07:06-06:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Cardona

Quotewgrim wrote:
Sun seems to be moving towards death, and MS is happily walking over them.  That's why I'd wanna learn C#.

What makes you say that? The numbers posted earlier show that Java is still extremely popular. C# is going to gain market share because it is heavily marketed, and it probably does offer some advantages for the most popular platform--namely, a PC running Windows. That said, what does it offer non-windows developers? Nothing, because they already have Java and a slew of other multi-platform development tools and libraries.

Victor

Victor Cardona

QuoteNitricEster wrote:
2) the CS department isn't geared like ITT tech or some place like that.

Just a quick aside about ITT Tech. Read comp.lang.programming sometime if you want to know about the quality of ITT Tech grads.

Victor

QuoteJust a quick aside about ITT Tech. Read comp.lang.programming sometime if you want to know about the quality of ITT Tech grads.

Again I tried to say it the best way I could. In no way was I implying that ITT tech grads know jack....but they do have more skills listed on their resumes then what a four year college does....it doesn't mean they know more then a grad from a four year college in those areas but it does mean they can apply to more jobs because of it...but again it doesn't mean they will get those jobs over someone with a four year degree..

So to say it again...
person A from ITT with java on resume
person B from 4 year college with java on resume
person C from 4 year college with no java on resume

if company Z get's resume's from person A and person C which one do you think they'll hire for a java position?

Does that clarify it? I tried to say it the best way I could before but yet someone had to take that as I was claiming ITT tech grads in some way or another knew stuff that 4 year grads don't. I said they where "geared different" in no way did I say they where better. Please stop shoving words down my mouth.

I feel like I'm stepping through a mine field in here....

Victor Cardona

QuoteNitricEster wrote:
Please stop shoving words down my mouth.

I feel like I'm stepping through a mine field in here....

Settle down Beavis! I know what you were saying. I was just pointing out that ITT grads suck. Anyway, I agree with you.

Victor

Gary Mayer

QuoteRyan wrote:
Are there no COBOL jobs out there?  Or is it not considered a programming language?  Maybe you don't need any knowledge to get one of those jobs.  I had a professor tell me that there will still be COBOL programming being done in 2040, so I imagine that a few of the jobs should be out there.

COBOL is still much in use by many companies - so much in fact that I understand that they have made an Object-Oriented version of the language.  Since COBOL isn't taught anymore, older programmers who  know the language are in high demand by some of these companies.  I know of a retiree who formed a company with a friend so they could offer COBOL support.  It's use is dwindling but I understand (through my friend) that many companies find it cheaper to keep what they have alive (esp w new OO additions) rather than going through the cost of porting to a whole new language.

-- Malekith
-- Malekith

The higher, the fewer, Doctor. The higher it goes, the fewer.

Gary Mayer

To reply to what I think was the original intent of the message...

I am pretty certain that the CS faculty have looked at the possibility of teaching Java on a more permanent basis. Some faculty advocate it, others do not. For whatever reason, I believe VB stands for now. As I understand it, this was completely a faculty-initiated discussion.

Keep in mind that the school is a business. Faculty need time to train, new materials need to be bought (books, etc.) and the new language would have to be evaluated for its impact on present curriculum.  Also, people just tend to be resistant to change.

-- Malekith
-- Malekith

The higher, the fewer, Doctor. The higher it goes, the fewer.

Stiffler

Hmmm....I need to fix the polls on the forum soon, so I can put up a question on which Graphical language should be offered (C#, Java, VB 6, VB.NET, or Pain-in-the-rear C++ Graphic Libraries) Did I forget any? I work on the getting the polls up tonight or tomarrow.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Victor Cardona

QuoteStiffler wrote:
Hmmm....I need to fix the polls on the forum soon, so I can put up a question on which Graphical language should be offered (C#, Java, VB 6, VB.NET, or Pain-in-the-rear C++ Graphic Libraries) Did I forget any? I work on the getting the polls up tonight or tomarrow.

Jon

How about Python with Tkinter?

Victor

R. Andrew Lamonica

What about Flash.  

B.T.W. has anyone used XML sockets in Flash.  I have used XML before and I have used sockets before, but I still don't understand how the two could be combined into one thing.