• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Network cable crimping

Started by Ryan Lintker, 2003-01-20T21:31:43-06:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Lintker

I was wondering who or where would be a good place to borrow a crimper from?  I really don't feel like shelling out 25 to 30 bucks for a crimper that I would use on one cable.  I have the cable and the connectors, I just need the use of a crimper.

Also on a side note, I usually have access to many scrap ends of cat 5 from 5 to 30 feet or more.  My dad is a residential electrician and at the end of every 1,000 ft roll of cat 5 is a scrap that we can't use.  If anyone has a use for these, let me know and I'll start saving them.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Chris Swingler

I've heard of some people using a pair of pliers to squeeze all the pins into the wires.  I've never tried it myself, so I don't know how well it would work.

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

bill corcoran

maybe buy a crimper, and make patch cords out of all the scraps.  if you can sell a few, and there _is_ a market, the crimper will pay for itself.  heck, patch cords go for more than a lot of OEM NICs.
-bill

Michael Kennedy

I have one that I can loan you.  I have a fairly open schedule on Monday and Wednesday most weeks.  Let me know what times work for you and I'll see if it matches for me.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Peter Motyka

If you setup a date/time to meet on campus let me know.  I would like to make a few patch cables myself :)  I too have a spool of ethernet that I would like to make use of.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Michael Kennedy

[Edited because apparently you guys can't read my mind.]

Tomorrow I'll be in the EB on the main floor at 3pm to lend them to Ryan.  I'll be the one with the red crimpers (duh) wearing a backwards SF Giants hat and reading "The Art of Deception" by Kevin Mitnick.  If you can drop in you're certinaly welcome to use them or you can setup a time to get with Ryan since he'll be using them for a while after I get them to him.

"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"