• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

TIVO for Linux

Started by Michael Kennedy, 2003-01-31T05:18:47-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Kennedy

Hello all.

I'm interested in turning my dual P2 server into a TIVO-ish thing in the near future.  My initial problem is that I have no AGP slot in this server board (n440bx) so I need a PCI TV card.  So, does anyone have an idea on a good PCI card that will work in Linux?  (I'm not looking to have my research done for me, but I'm curious is anyone else has any initial knowledge they'd like to pass on.)

I know I saw at one time that someone here had a TV card in their Linux box.  I'm looking for the absolute best that's PCI, so any suggestions are welcome.  I guess it would be fairly easy to find software to run the recording and storing of videos, right?  I could write a web interface if the real hard stuff was already done.  :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Gish

Michael Kennedy

Good deal.  Nooone here had done anything like this, though?

Cool, I get to be a "pioneer".   :-P
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

William Grim

I use a WinTV Go by Hauppauge in my Linux/FreeBSD/Windows box.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley