• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Cougar Boards

Started by Guest, 2003-02-01T01:01:14-06:00 (Saturday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,
This is my first time posting here so please be nice. :)  I was looking for some opinions both technical and personal on something a friend and I created.  We created a forum called Cougar Boards.  It is a forum similiar to this only devoted to SIUE student life and events.  If you are like most of the other people we have talked to, you will automatically think of the Events page.  But it is a forum for people to freely post and not so much of a community calendar.  Anyways we are just begining to get the word out about it.  It is the first time that we have ever tried any project this big and I would like some input on anything that I could improve on.  Thanks for the help. The link is http://cougarboards.ath.cx

Rosewood

R. Andrew Lamonica

Daylene,
This is a nice looking board.  I like the interface.  I hope you get lots of visitors.

Gish

Now if we could only get people to register and use it.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  

Gish  

Peter Motyka

Perhaps if the site was affiliated with SIUE you would have more luck getting people registered and using it.  Is there any way you could get it hosted on campus and get a *.siue.edu hostname?  I was the one who coordinated the setup of this site and it was pretty painless.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Thats just it, I'm not sure if I want to make it affiliated with SIUE.  There are several reasons why I am hesitant.  One I want to keep control over the boards and because I am not sure about SIUE's policies.  If there is a link on policies I would be grateful if someone could send it to me so that I could review them.  Anyways I have been talking the site over with some SIUE officials.  I will post later on about what is going on with the site.  Thanks for the input though.

Michael Kennedy

I'm with you on thinking that getting SIUE to host it could put you in hot water on a few things.  Face it, wether you want it to or not, this board come become a haven for cheaters and other things SIUE would be hesitant about promoting.  I think it's a great idea and I'll come on over and post some items up later to see what conversations we can get going, but SIUE have *any* control over it could wind up being a bad thing administratively.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Gish

I have to agree with you mek2600.  One question Daylene and I have been asking ourselves is who would maintain control of Cougar Boards if it was SIUE related?  I personally don't think SIUE would promote such an open environment due to the resources needed to run/moderate/mantain it.  The last thing Daylene and I need to worry about is SIUE's death grip if they don't like something that is posted.  I have a feeling we will get the death grip either way with the execption of SIUE claiming the position of moderator god.  That's just my 0.0185718 Euros.

Gish

Jerry

Its a good looking board.

My suggestion to get people registered and posting is advertise. You might see if the admins of the dorms would let you make Cougar Board the default home page. If not permanently, ask them if you could have it for a week or two. That would help.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...