• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Anyone have a Mac with a CD-Burner?

Started by Chris Swingler, 2003-01-31T22:34:11-06:00 (Friday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Swingler

I need system 7.5.3 on a CD-ROM to get it on my Macintosh SE.  But if I take the images and try to burn them on my PC, I end up corrupting the resource fork.  So, any kind soul wanna make me an OS 7.5.3 CD, or know of a Mac somewhere on campus that I can use?

Thanks!

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

It's really difficult to burn Mac images on a pc.  Like you said, the resource fork normaly ends up getting trashed.  I have a burner on my Mac so I think I can help you out.

Chris Swingler

I'd really appreciate that, Rob.  The FTP site is ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3

It's a self-compiling disc image, so I'm not sure what the easiest way to make it work would be.  I can't have anything written to my hard disk, as the total for all that stuff comes to about 50MB, and my poor little SE has 22.7MB (out of 40 :-o ) to spare right now.

I got this little mac for free quite a while ago, and I was lucky enough to find an ethernet card in it.  So, I'm gonna try to get this system running on the school network, and possibly run a small web server out of it.  (Think of the possibilites of what I could host!  Maybe an HTML document containing the text "This is a mac.")

Okay, back to staring lovingly into a screen full of flying toasters... :-)

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Burned and ready for delivery.  Wierd though...the image wouldn't mount under OS X.  I had to boot up using 9.2 and do the burn.  Oh well, all is well and right with the world now.

Kade P. Cole

These machines make GREAT web servers. They just run forever. Go MAC!

Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

William Grim

Hey, if you ever get the mac running and can actually display an HTML file ... speaking of that, would that be too much data storage for the mac?  I mean, you don't have much space, and "This is a mac" is shorter than "This is a mac.."

Anyway, if you get it running, you have to show me :-)
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Jason Vipond

All the Macs in the Multimedia Lab (Dunham Hall, 1st floor) are equipped with CD burners.

Chris Swingler

C'mon... give the Mac a little credit... I can run Lynx and Mosiac on it right now.  Serving will be the difficult part, I've got to find a _really_ lightweight web server for the Mac.

And, I should find a little uptime app.  There's something I could put on the webpage--a hit counter and the computer's uptime :-D

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Mac's are the bomb!

...and that's all I got to say about that.

Chris Swingler

oooh... now I'm sure I can pull this off..

http://home.xnet.com/~lisa2/Main.html

A webserver on a _Lisa_!

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator