• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

DVD Burner

Started by Michael Kennedy, 2003-02-18T00:38:38-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Kennedy

I'm planning on getting a DVD burner real soon now and so far I think I'm going to go with a Sony DRU-500A.  Has anyone had any experiences with any DVD burning drives at all?  If so, what drives have you messed with, liked, disliked, etc?  Thanks.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Stiffler

I have a Pioneer DVR-104. It is a DVD-R drive. DVD-R (dash, not minus) is more compatible than DVD+R (Plus) on all the current PC-DVD and Component DVD players out there. Also, DO NOT get memorex DVD Recordable disc. I burned data on one, and 40% of the sectors were unreadable. I can post a picture to prove it. I won an auction on Ebay for a 100 spindle of DVD-R, if you want to get some off me. They are SONY brand rated at 2x burn (2.6 ish Megs/sec).

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Michael Kennedy

Yeah, the minus being more compatable is what I've been reading.  The drive I've been looking at the most will do DVD+-RW and DVD+-R, so I should be set on that.

And when I get the drive I'll let you know about the blank DVDs.  Also, thanks a ton on the advice about what brands are bad- getting 100 bad Memorex discs would have ruined my week.  :)
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

William Grim

I'm going to wait for a DVD-RW thingy or whatever they'll be called.

Anyway, did I jump up to the next posting level on this post?  Prolly not; we'll see.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Michael Kennedy

The Sony drive I mentioned below does DVD-RW discs.  It does all 4 major formats, so it looks like I'd be ordering one of those fairly soon.  I just wish my friend still worked at the local video store.  

Er, wait, I mean, I have no intention of copying...  aaw, hell.  Nevermind.   :-D

Stiffler

It is a bit difficult to copy DVDs, primarily due to the fact that most Video DVDs out there are 8.?? Gigs, and teh DVDR can only hold 4.7 Gig. There are 9.4 Gig DVDR disc out there, it's just that they are double sided. Again, the 4.7 Gig limitation. There are ways around it, but I won't go into detail here. :-D

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Michael Kennedy

If there are ways to get around things, I'm sure I can find them.  But I didn't know that most video DVDs are the 9.4gb size...  I guess I'll have to do some more reading on that.  I just assumed that they were all 4.7gb.