• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

We'll talk your head off, if you let us

Started by Elizabeth Weber, 2002-09-03T01:45:06-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Elizabeth Weber

CAOS would like to bring in speakers throughout the semester to speak on some of the exciting things going on in computer science - but we don't want to bore you to tears.

We are already scheduling Dr. White to speak on the goings on of the most recent Sigraph, an annual graphics conference held this year in San Antonio.  (Keep your eyes peeled for flyers, news posts, and calendar updates for details)

I also met a few of the professors from Washington University, St. Louis who are doing some very interesting things in mobile robotics and computer vision and would probably be more than happy to come over and share some of their work with us.

I'd like to get some feedback on topics that would interest YOU, and what you think of these suggestions.  And if you know a specific speaker that you'd like to have (especially if you have contact information!), by all means, spill it :-) .
~Elizabeth Weber

Michael Kennedy

One topic that fascinates me is computer security, so if anyone could get a computer security expert to talk I'd be sitting front and center.  The subjects you mentioned sound great, too, and I can't wait to see who you guys can come up with.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Peter Motyka

Dr. Noble from computer engineering is an expert on computer/network security, perhaps he would like to speak.  If not, we could see if OIT has anybody willing to give a talk on the security practices used on our own SIUE network.

Peter

SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Stiffler

I have sources in the ECE department, want me to see if they can talk to Dr. Noble?

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Id like to see some of the gaming industry greats coming and giving a speech here.

John Carmack speaking in SIU would be great but i doubt thats gonna happen. Nevertheless there's a ton of other great coders/designers/visionaries out there in the PC / Console Gaming industry that would be a perfect fit for a talk in SIU.

Victor Cardona

I would really like to hear about a professional programmer's experiences both during interviews and on the job.

Peter Motyka

QuoteStiffler wrote:
I have sources in the ECE department, want me to see if they can talk to Dr. Noble?

Jon

I have talked to Dr. Noble many times regarding such a talk and he has seemed willing.  I think all we would have to do is give him some notice and a scope of topics.

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

Stiffler

Yeah, but going through sources and having them talk to him is more pun. I could talk to him directly, too.

Jon

Peter Motyka

What ever floats your boat :)  I enjoy conversations with Dr. Noble too.  He is a really neat guy, with a tremendous amount of information in any topic you bring up.  Last time we ended up talking for quite some time regarding Hinduism... Funny how these things come up...

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

Stiffler

I know what you mean. One time before class, I talked to him for the first time. I said I knew so and so, and he was like, "So your the one so and so was talking about. We need to take you to a bar and get you drunk...." We had to stop talking when my teacher said it was time for class. He is a good guy.

Jon

William Grim

Computer security interests me as well.

I'd love to have a speaker on the design approaches of computer security from a coding perspective, a sysadmin perspective, or both!
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Fred Jones

I would be willing to help plan events that would model after UIUC Distinguished Lectures Series.
Check them out  and tell me if CAOS and the CS department feel this is plausable...

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/dls/index.html

Fred Jones

Do people generally want large sums of money to speak to a school... Elizabeth what has been your understanding of this... :)

Victor Cardona

It would depend on the speaker. I doubt we could ever get Richard Stallman, but we might be able to get some local programmers and possibly some faculty from other nearby universities.

The thing is that if we promise someone a certain amount of money, then we have to deliver. Otherwise, they will never come back, and if word gets out other speakers might be reluctant to come as well. This happened to a student group I used to belong to in Maryland. They got Buzz Aldrin to come to campus and speak, but then some of the money they were going to pay him did not materialize. I doubt he will ever speak at U of M again because of that :-(

Victor

Ryan Lintker

Some speakers do cost a decent chunk of money.  I do believe that if we want a more expensive speaker, we can get some student government money if we plan far enough ahead and do the required paperwork.  Many other organizations request and receive money for more questionable events.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones