• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Integrated SIUE NetBIOS/SMB

Started by William Grim, 2003-03-03T06:56:25-06:00 (Monday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

Hey everyone!

I have been taking it upon myself to integrate the campus' multi-subnetted networks and link them together into one network.  Current attempts have been partially successful.

Thus far, I have made it so you can now ping any computer (by NetBIOS name), regardless on which subnet it resides.

I'm still having slight problems synchronizing browse lists in such a way that all computers are viewable in Network Neighborhood, but that day will come.

What I basically do is have my server suck up all the IPs/NetBIOS names of each subnet separately, concatenate them, store them for my internal networks use, and spit them out to SIUE's central WINS server, which then propogates it down to the rest of SIUE immediately.

This stemmed out of a need to get my internal network talking to the rest of the network in a seemless fashion.  Who says research isn't fun?

Hell yeah!  Just thought you'd find this interesting.  Go ahead, ping any computer name on campus you want.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

William Grim

Okay, hold that thought of trying it out.

My stupid @$$ made the mistake of hitting the power strips power button when I was removing a cable.

Not only is my uptime lost, but I don't have the time yet to hook a head up to the system and figure out why it's not booting past single user mode.

So, until then, I don't know how long the central WINS server will keep working "correctly" (AKA, the way I want).
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley