• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

HCI of New Websites

Started by Jerry, 2003-03-25T10:59:30-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

CAOS and the SIUE Homepage both have interface changes.

Anyone have a comment on the HCI of these sites?
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Ryan Lintker

First thing I see when I log into this wonderfully restrictive windows 2000 image is the new SIUE homepage hogging resources and invading my desktop.  That aside, it's nice to see a much needed change.

The first thing I did was check out the links for current students.  There are about 10 times as many links now than there were before.  Some of the grouping in the categories isn't quite logical to me either.  After 20 seconds of searching, I quickly learned that the CS department offers tutoring in the Science Building and Founders Hall.  Maybe I'll start directing overflow traffic in 1036 to these two buildings.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Stiffler

Personally I think this site has the best colors, and best HCI. The new image manager allows registered uses to upload an image and use it in a forum post or news post (it's the long button that says manager on it). I have two categories, one for the forum, and one for the news. I can add more if needed. The gallery upgrade added some really nice inface changes and options that were not present in the previous version. I can go into specifics on why I could not upgrade before the site move if anyone wants me to.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Kade P. Cole

I like the new interface here too. But I do miss the old themes and wish they could return.
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

Stiffler

They will. It just need to find time to convert them.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Victor Cardona

The interface of the new SIUE site is much improved. Of course that is not really saying much considering how utterly aweful the old site was.

The new CAOS Site has a good interface. I think it is better than the old. So far, I have not been confused by anything that I have seen. The old CAOS site could be a little confusing in certain modules.

Victor

Chris Swingler

Yeah, the new SIUE home page is much much better than the old one.  Speaking of the old one, Carbondale hasn't revamped their site yet, so if you want to do an almost-direct comparison of the two, so you know where to look. :)

As for the themes, I really would like them back.  For some reason, the default themes always have trouble rendering under Netscape 4.8 (which I use on my laptop).

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Elizabeth Weber

Well, um, ... I could complain about themes like everyone else...  I think I've got some special problems like everyone else (particularly image related).  Currently, the central column on the front page is a *bit* long.  Will continue user testing ;).  Oh, and I noticed that if you preview a post, the checked options are lost.

I had noticed that webmail had gotten a new face (though it's functionality is sporatic).  I hadn't noticed that the SIUE homepage had been updated, gonna have to check that out sometime soon.
~Elizabeth Weber

Elizabeth Weber

Well, I could jump on the theme complaint bandwagon ... ;)

The center column on the front page is a little too long.
There's a lot of images that don't show up (probably just  Argentina).  Also noticed that the options checkboxes are cleared if you preview the message.  More user testing to follow ...

I had noticed that webmail got a new face, though it doesn't work any better.  Did not know about SIUE's homepage, will have to go check that out.
~Elizabeth Weber

Elizabeth Weber

Well, I could jump on the theme complaint bandwagon ... ;)

The center column on the front page is a little too long.
There's a lot of images that don't show up (probably just  Argentina).  Also noticed that the options checkboxes are cleared if you preview the message.  More user testing to follow ...

I had noticed that webmail got a new face, though it doesn't work any better.  Did not know about SIUE's homepage, will have to go check that out.
~Elizabeth Weber