• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Redhat 9 ISOs

Started by Peter Motyka, 2003-04-01T09:01:58-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleDoe

Yea, Grim's right.  Slackware's a real programmer's OS.  It's the anti-Windows.  You know how Windows always tries to do stuff for ya automatically, even when you don't want it to.  Whell, Slackware does nothing automatically.  It isn't until you can configure every one of your drivers by hand that you're a true linux guy.8-)

I'm just trying redhat because so many of the servers around here have redhat, so I want to see what it's like.  But once I get pretty well acquainted with redhat, I'm going back to my Slackware.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Stiffler

Peter, there are ftp scanners out there. They scan every IP for a FTP server. When they find one, the IP is added to a list, then checked every so often to update the file list. THen users just do a search on the that scanner to find what they want. It's much the same way google works.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

If you need the Redhat 9 ISO images - you can download them at this ftp server, 218.2.120.10
The server is in China - so take that in to account - speeds may vary.
Have fun!

Ryan Lintker

Has anyone noticed the incredible number of views on this thread?  I got up this morning and it was over 1500.  Is that inaccurate or do we have some outside folks checking out this particular thread for some reason?  If it is accurate, it definately sets a new record for this site.
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

DaleDoe

I finally found time to put redhat 9 on my system, though I upgraded my slackware a few days ago.  I just wanted to say how easy redhat was to install.  It configured everything for me.  Even X windows.  It even managed to detect my monitor type.:-D

The slackware upgrade was relatively painless, too.  I only had to reconfigure my display and video card.  It managed to reuse all of the other config files except xf86.conf (I think that was the name).  I could've avoided the trouble if I had thought to backup my X windows config files beforehand.:roll:
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Peter Motyka

I have been running RH9 here at work as my JSP/Servlet server and I have already gotten in a fight with it.  The confrontation happened when trying to migrate my bugzilla installation from another box.  I could not get the dependent perl libs to install via CPAN so I scrounged for RPMs.  I found all the RPMs but some would not install because of dependency failures, even though the required software was installed via source.  I used the --nodeps flags and it worked for a few of them.  After trying to forcefully install DBI-MySQL I ended up with a corrupt RPM database and had to rebuild it.  I recall this type of flaky package management in RH 6.x.  Why can't RH implement dependable package management like FreeBSD or Debian.  I am quickly starting to despise RPM.  Isn't it odd that Gentoo selected RPM for its portage package format?

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Stiffler

Peter, that was an April Fool's Day joke as explained in this edition of the Gentoo Weekly News Letter.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Ryan Lintker

Well, I'm sitting in the tutor lab this morning, reading some of the posts in this 2100+ view thread, and I see the post that says go ftp solar to download iso's.  I click the link and what happens?  There are already the maximum number of users on the server, please come again.  Is this really all CAOS members and their families, or should we be saying "Houston, we have a problem here."  I am not totally up to date on the bandwidth situation here at SIUE, but it doesn't seem like a good thing if a school server is being abused.  Are there any things on the public ftp server that are needed by students for class?  It would really be a shame if students aren't able to get to materials or programs that they need.

Peter Motyka

[root@solar 11:14:41 /root]# ftpwho
inetd FTP connections:
(65%)proftpd:ftp-207.53.234.195:anonymous/getright@:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc3.iso
(15%)proftpd:ftp-207.53.234.195:anonymous/getright@:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc3.iso
(88%)proftpd:ftp-host28-2.pool80116.interbusiness.it:anonymous/getright@:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc3.iso
(47%)proftpd:ftp-207.53.234.195:anonymous/getright@:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc3.iso
(40%)proftpd:ftp-217-127-31-222.uc.nombres.ttd.es:anonymous/diamondx@terra.es:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc1.iso
(40%)proftpd:ftp-217-127-31-222.uc.nombres.ttd.es:anonymous/diamondx@terra.es:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc2.iso
(44%)proftpd:ftp-207.53.234.195:anonymous/getright@:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc3.iso
(9%)proftpd:ftp-213.154.137.218:anonymous/root@beta:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc1.iso
(2%)proftpd:ftp-212.97.54.198:anonymous/IEUser@:RETR/shared/linux/RedHat9.0/shrike-i386-disc3.iso
Service class-9users

-- Wow, look at that... not a single SIUE ip address.  Happy to see we are hooking up the people in Spain and Italy with ISOs...  Didn't I warn about this?

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

Peter Motyka

SIUE CS Alumni 2002

Ryan Lintker

I tried that search yesterday and it didn't come up.  But today we are #5.  Holy cow!  Maybe tomorrow CAOS will be #1!

Peter Motyka

Want to see something amusing?  Run this command on solar to see the anon ftp attempts over the last few days.

"last -a | grep ^ftp | less"
SIUE CS Alumni 2002

DaleDoe

So that's why I've had some trouble off and on ftp-ing from solar/pub/CS514.  No big deal.  I've been transfering by http just as easily as ftp. 8-)

Chris Swingler

Wow, that's an awful lot of people using GetRight.  So far, solar.cs hasn't been linked on FileMirrors.com (GetRight's FTP server database) but since GetRight relays FTP server information from the users to FileMirrors as soon as it finds a good server, it may pop up there sooner or later.

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

William Grim

Eh, no big deal, except now you have to use sftp to get the ISOs.  When you sftp to solar, go to /home/shared/linux/; that's where I keep the ISOs.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley