• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Redhat 9 ISOs

Started by Peter Motyka, 2003-04-01T09:01:58-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Kade P. Cole

Can you not limit the ftp to just SIUE. That would help a lot. At least for anonymous. Otherwise just use your SOENT login to login and goto /home/ftp/shared/linux and download away!
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

William Grim

I never restricted anonymous privileges in the sense that you could only login from certain areas.

As for anonymous gathering of the RH9 ISOs, it was setup like that because I thought we had our ftp server jail people into their home directories.  Obviously, this is not the case and will change soon.

As for all the downloads, there isn't much to say about it.  I was trying to make the directory accessible to all the SIUE students, thinking that users were already jailed in their home directory on FTP.

Get WinSCP Here for using SFTP on windows.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

bill corcoran

this brings to mind a question i have pondered recently, and have not been able to quickly google a satisfying answer.

what is the difference between SCP and SFTP?  i had the understanding that there was none, but after hearing a few things i'm not so sure.
-bill

Stiffler

SCP = Secure Copy Protocol. It is part of the OpenSSH download. SFTP = Secure File Transfer Protocol. Not much different, but on is done purely via ssh.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Kade P. Cole

I know they both use ssh. I also think they are basically the same thing.
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!