• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Where do you buy your new computers/parts?

Started by Ryan Lintker, 2003-03-27T12:08:33-06:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Lintker

Before I graduate, I am considering upgrading the computer in my life past the 700 mhz barrier, meaning I'm basically looking for a new machine for a decent price.  I have heard different people swear that the best deals are here or there, but I only have info from few sources.  So where do you buy your new parts/whole computers?
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones

Pricewatch.com is strongly reccomended by a lot of people, but I have found that occasionally their vendors aren't all that great.  When I built my computer this April, I ordered the majority of the parts from Next Generation Computers (www.nxgen.com).  Their phone support is quite good, their site is well designed, RMAs are a breeze, and their prices are relatively low.  Their generic RAM is pretty good too, and I have had no problems with it (save the constant harpings I get from people regarding the unreliable reputation that generic RAM has).  I've also had good experiences with Outpost(www.outpost.com) and Newegg(www.newegg.com), though I found Newegg's prices to be a little steeper than the average, and their shipping to be slower.  Also, don't be afraid to give eBay a try; but with new/expensive items, I tend to stick to sellers with ridiculously high ratings (1000+), and make sure that every item comes with a warranty from both the seller _and_ the manufacturer.  eBay is also a good place to look for obscure parts that usually cost a fortune from authorized dealers (laptop parts, for example)..

--Beanie

Chris Swingler

Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Michael Kennedy

"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Jerry

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

I almost always use newegg, I always get everything within 2-3 days and they have pretty good prices.  Problem with looking on pricewatch is that most of the vendors with the best prices aren't the most reliable.  But you can check them out at resellerratings.com as well.

Jim

Ryan DonCarlos

www.newegg.com ALL THE WAY they pwn and if they are not the cheapest they are DANG close.
got owned?

Don't use pwn, no one who goes to school here is 31337 enough to use that word.

Ryan Lintker

My cousin recommends www.pcusa.com.  It has a pretty powerful configurator that allows you to pick out exactly what hardware and software you get on your machine, and the ability to build econoboxes and some pretty high end rigs.  An advantage to this approach is that i would only have to pay $30 in shipping for everything, while if I bought all the parts separately, who knows how much that would cost.  Has anybody else heard of or used this site?
"You can't always get what you want,
 but if you try sometime, you just might find,
you get what you need" - The Rolling Stones