• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Webmail email on Outlook

Started by Guest, 2003-11-23T19:03:37-06:00 (Sunday)

Previous topic - Next topic

I want my Webmail email's to filter into my Microsoft Outlook.  What is the IMAP and SMTP addresses for SIUE Webmail?        

Chris Swingler

I really shouldn't be telling you this, since I strongly discourage the propogation of Outlook, but oh well.  (Give Thunderbird a whirl.)

There is no IMAP server, afaik, but both POP3 and SMTP are at mail.siue.edu.

Have fun!

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Thanks Beanie, but while I can receive messages, I'm unable to send outgoing messages.  I'm confused.

Geoff Schreiber

Pretty sure SIUE disables outgoing SMTP unless through webmail, or maybe you just need to setup SMTP authentication (I never tried, I use another server to send my outgoing mail).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Geoff Schreiber
Project Engineer
FASTechnology Group

bill corcoran

actually, you should use the following addresses:

IMAP:  imap.siue.edu
POP:   pop.siue.edu
SMTP:  smtp.siue.edu

you can only send mail using SIUE's SMTP server to a non-SIUE e-mail address if you have an SIUE IP address.  disabling this service in mail servers prevents them being used to relay spam messages.  in other words, it's generally advisable to use your ISP's SMTP server.  (if SIUE is your ISP, use smtp.siue.edu, otherwise use the one provided by your ISP).
-bill

QuoteIMAP: imap.siue.edu
POP: pop.siue.edu
SMTP: smtp.siue.edu

FYI- all of those addresses resolve out to 146.163.5.4 as dones 'mail.siue.edu', so you can use any of those addresses for any service.  So, for the same of simplicity, I use 'mail.siue.edu' for SMTP and IMAP on my system.

Also, Beanie- have you tried Outlook 2003?  It's a lot nicer and has some enhancements that I think can help trim down SPAM, etc.  Only time will tell if it's better on the virus front, though.

Michael Kennedy

"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Kade P. Cole

QuoteAnonymous wrote:
QuoteIMAP: imap.siue.edu
POP: pop.siue.edu
SMTP: smtp.siue.edu

FYI- all of those addresses resolve out to 146.163.5.4 as dones 'mail.siue.edu', so you can use any of those addresses for any service.  So, for the same of simplicity, I use 'mail.siue.edu' for SMTP and IMAP on my system.

This is the case right now. It is quite possible that the resolution addresses will change in the future. It is recommended that you use the appropriate addresses as quoted above for IMAP, POP, and SMTP. mail.siue.edu is depreciated and should NOT be used.
Kade
--------------------------------------
Most people HAVE to use a PC.
I GET to use a MAC with OS X!

Michael Kennedy

OK, cool.  Thanks for the info.  I'll keep that in mind if the mail server is unreachable.  I'll change it then.  :)
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"