• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

SIUE CS labs say “Goodbye Desktop. Hello Toolbar?”

Started by R. Andrew Lamonica, 2003-06-18T19:06:36-05:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

R. Andrew Lamonica

Recently, the CS Dept. has received some new computers. With the installation of these computers Greg Bartholomew has made some improvements to the Computer Lab Image.  One of the most interesting (and most noticeable) changes is the absence of desktop icons.  It their place is a floating toolbar sporting the title â€Ã...“Desktop.â€Ã,  This toolbar contains all the same icons and has all the same functionality as the original desktop and it conserves a little space on the screen.  However, some people like the old larger icons and find the single-click toolbar interface a little annoying.  I have not yet decided where I stand on this, but I think it is interesting and I would hold a poll on it if this website worked correctly.  So let me know what you think.  

Let me be the first to say that the new image is a vast improvement over the previous one.  I can't tell you what a relief it is to be able to log on and not have to stare at that ugly old desktop, which displayed SIUE's website framed by what appeared to be the outside of a sweaty Coke can.

As far as the toolbar goes, I would prefer to have the icons on the desktop.  When they're smaller, you have to be more accurate when pointing at them with the mouse.  I don't really like having to move the mouse more slowly to avoid accidentally clicking on the wrong icon.  It's not a huge problem, but if I had the choice, I would prefer to have my icons on the desktop.

William Grim

Too bad I'm not in E-ville to see the new desktop; I'm sure it looks much better than the older one.

Hey, come to think of it, this crazy sysadmin snuck Linux onto half of that EB 1036 image; if you reboot the systems you can use Linux for everything except printing.  It even comes with a login display and a GUI and everything.  It mounts your home directory straight off of pro (what you use on solar).
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Jerry

There is an HCI study shows a correlation between the size of a screen target and the speed and accuracy of hitting it with a mouse pointer. Smaller targets take more time and require more dexterity to hit accurately.

So, my biggest problem with the new menu bar is that the targets are small.

"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Aaron Drake

I agree that the icons are a bit too small.  Why not just put them on the desktop?  If people want them in a column, they will show up like that on the desktop.  Why is the toolbar more advantageous?  One more nit-picky thing: I would prefer a blue background to the black one.  Blue is my favorite color, and HCI studies have shown that blue makes the best background color, haven't they?  Why not make it blue?

I know it probably seems a bit anal of me to be complaining about such things, but I think most people would probably prefer a different backgound color.

Anyway, even if it doesn't get changed, it's still a major improvement over the previous image!  :roll:
"Cooda is a whatah?" - Dr. Wu

Jerry

Yes, blue is better for backgrounds. We have fewer cyan (blue) cones than red or yellow. So it is harder to focus on blue.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...