• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

CS Electives which 4 are you going to choose?

Started by Guest, 2003-08-28T22:38:06-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

What computer science related electives you all considering taking? Right now im considering the 325 software engineering, cs438 AI, CS434 DB managment, 456 alg/complexity. either that or computer graphics

What do you all consider interesting or classes that look good on the resume for having done.

Brett

I've had AI (CS 438), Networking (CS 447), Software Engineering (CS 325), and I'll probably take Databases (CS 434) next semester.

I thought AI was a lot of fun. Probably my favorite CS course. We had a Connect4 tournament and did some Lego robotics.

I think 325, 434, 438, 456 and 447 are all good choices that will be useful after graduation.

But what do I know?

Brett

Gary Mayer

Do you have an idea what you want to do when you grow up?

If so, go look at some of the job listings on sites like Monster.com and see what the extras are that employers are looking for. For instance, a number of Software Engineering jobs I've been examining have mentioned Object Oriented experience and Java. A couple requested knowledge of COM and CORBA.

If not, either choose electives that may help you decide where your interests / strengths lie.

Of course, a couple of CS professors here have told me that technology is on the way out. Thus, it doesn't really matter now, does it?   :roll:
-- Malekith

The higher, the fewer, Doctor. The higher it goes, the fewer.

Jerry

Don't forget we offer a number of topics courses too (CS 490).

Within the next year the CS Dept. is expecting to offer the computer game programming class, a general robotics course that emphasizes embedded programming and integrated system design, a network security course, and datamining.  
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Are those classes expected to run in the fall or the spring

I am glad to hear that the Connect 4 tourney was enjoyed.  Dr. Yu has already requested some of my time next semester to do another game interface and we are writing a paper about the old one, now.

Jerry

The robotics course is slated for Spring. The gaming course maybe Spring. Datamining will likely be Fall. I don't have any idea about the security course.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...