• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

[Survey] What OS(s) do you use?

Started by William Grim, 2002-09-03T17:16:16-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

William Grim

What operating system(s) does everyone use?

I use Windows 2000 Professional on my desktop just for games, but I use FreeBSD 4.6.2 on my server.

Also, I generally have my hands all over Solaris, but that isn't on my own computer.

I know this poll only lets you pick one thing .. pick the one you use the most.  Comment about the others you use.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Michael Kennedy

Windows 2000 Pro on my laptop and desktop and Mandrake 8.2 on my server.  We're going to use Mandrake 8.2 extensively on some servers at work, so I'll be getting a lot more time on those systems.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Peter Motyka

I use Window 2000 on my main desktop computer and OpenBSD 3.1 on my NATD/firewall.  I would use *nix on the desktop more if I could find a cheap VGA switch box...  For the time being, I use Gnome via VNC on solar.cs.siue.edu to get my *nix GUI fix.  
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

Michael Kennedy

How cheap of a VGA switch box?  I have 2 cheap and one not-so-cheap.  Let me know with a PM.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

I know this will generate some interesting responses...

Why is WinXP not up there? or Win 95/98?

I use WinXP Professional on my main computer and Win98SE on my laptop.

Stiffler

Cause, Win XP is basically Win 2K, and Win 9x line of OSes is not worth mentioning. If you use a 9x OS, up to 2K or XP.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Michael Kennedy

Good point- I'm sure more people use 95, 98, and XP than BeOS.

Stiffler

BeOS is making a comeback. There is a free, open source version out. A whole 2 ppl DLed it, so it's coming back.  :-)

Besides, Microsoft will discontinue the support for 98 in a year or so, and I think 95 is already no longer supported.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

R. Andrew Lamonica

I think BSD, Solaris and MAC OS X have as much or more in common with eachother than Windows XP and 95 do, at least under the hood.

William Grim

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave any operating systems out of the vote.  I was trying to think of as many as I could before I posted the poll but apparently failed in a few areas.

Well, I hope the rest of the poll is decent.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

C3

i run XP.....

but i voted 2k since that is the closest up there

you can say what u want a bout microsoft, but xp is their best os by far so far

-c3-
-the world is full of stupid people-.........

Chris Swingler

Hey, you left out DOS!
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Fred Jones

I use a dualboot XP/BSD on a P4-1.5ghz

Have fun
Fred