• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Polls, surveys, or whatever.

Started by Stiffler, 2003-09-16T23:19:22-05:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiffler

I spent 4 hours writting a lttle hack on the polls module to give registered users a chance to post a poll. OK, much of the 4 hours was spent getting help on the XOOPS Dev site. Anyways, with this ability comes responsibility. Make sure that the poll is "appropriate" to have on a school website, and keep it in the context of this website and what it stands for. There are several ppl with the ability to delete polls. Also, try not to have more than two polls running a time.

To make a new poll:
1) Click on Polls in the Main Menu.
2) Click on Add.
3) follow all direction on the page and make sure you put in a description because it wants one and if you hit submit without entering one in, you will need to hit the back button and fill all the info in again.
4) Click submit.

There is a limit of ten items per poll. If more items are needed I will try to add more fields, but this is a limitation of the module itself and not with my part of the code.

For those that want polls in the forum, I will work on that later for that is much more difficult.

Thanks,
Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

R. Andrew Lamonica

First, I am happy you reinstated a poll module.  

So I hate to now nit-pick about it, but when a poll expires is there any way we could remove it from the main page?  It has got to be annoying for users to take the time to vote just to see that the poll has already expired and their vote will not count.   Do polls even have to expire?  I did not see a way to prevent them from doing so, but maybe I could set their expiration in the distant future.

Stiffler

lamonica,

i free time this weekend. I will see what I can do then. I think a statment like:
if(time > than time expire) displayInBlock = false;
I think that's what it's called. I thought it would go away.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.