• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Funny error messages

Started by DaleDoe, 2003-09-25T17:48:59-05:00 (Thursday)

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleDoe

Maybe I am trying too hard to avoid writing a paper, but here's some of my favorite funny error messages I've found on the 'net.

HTTP 404 parody for us Poe fans
http://www.plinko.net/nevermore.asp

A useless message
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/92q4/printermsgs.html

Or one that Phil Busey discovered:
Please insert the disk labeled "Windows 2000 CD-ROM into drive A"

This message appears for certain unix programs when an entry can't be found for you in /etc/passwd:
You don't exist. Go away.
:wacko:
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Stiffler

Every once in a while when I shut down my computer I get a box that pops up saying "You should not see this."

Dale, didn't you get a message in 2029 saying that Windows crashed?

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

Aaron Drake

QuoteOr one that Phil Busey discovered: Please insert the disk labeled "Windows 2000 CD-ROM into drive A"

Yeah, I remember seeing that one. ;-) As I recall, it looked something like this: :-o

(Though it says XP instead of 2000 in the picture...)  
"Cooda is a whatah?" - Dr. Wu

Michael Kennedy

Oh, good lord...  :lol:

The 404 from Poe was great, but the picture The_Drake sent up is classic.  :)  I gotta save that one.

Thanks for not wanting to write that paper DaleDoe.  :)
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Aaron Drake

Looks like the poor person who took that XP picture is gonna need the patented MS keyboard and mouse:

Michael Kennedy

"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Woops, sorry Windows 95.  My bad:

This one's pretty self-explanitory.

Yea, Jon.  I did get a message telling me that Windows crashed.  But I don't know why it told me about it.

Another favorite one I got was on Win95 when I was trying to configure a joystick for someone.  It wasn't working, so when I retried adding a new joystick for the 100th time, I named it "the :censored: joystick."  When it still didn't work, I gave up and deleted configuration from the computer.  Win95 asked me "Are you sure you want to delete the :censored: joystick?"

By the way Jon, what's with the CAOS site sensoring words like :censored:umption, :censored:istant, :censored:ociation, or :censored:assin?
 :-D

DaleDoe

I guess I forgot to log in for that last post.

Let me try something...

Hickory dickory dock...

Well, that didn't get censored.  I guess that's what is :censored:ured to happen when I make an :censored:umption. :-D
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

QuoteI guess I forgot to log in for that last post.

Heh, yeah, I know what that's like.  I'm the annonymous person that made the previous posts.

I've got a million of these anti-microsoft images stored on my computer.  Here's another one I like: (notice the 50/50 in the corner... I guess that's supposed to be the odds that it works?)

Aaron Drake

D'oh! Forgot to login *again*!!!  :roll: :wacko:

DaleDoe

I'm boored again.  Here's some Unix error messages you can create yourself.
http://www.aaaugh.com/jokes/unix_error_messages.html 8-)

Chris Swingler

Out of boredom, I'm going to try all of these on my FreeBSD 5.1R system, and see how many still work (the message is from 88, so I'm sure some are out of date).

%rm meese-ethics
rm: meese-ethics: No such file or directory
%ar m God
no output
%"How would you rate Reagan's incompetence?
Unmatched ".
%[Where is Jimmy Hoffa?
[Where: No match.
%^How did the sex change^ operation go?
Modifier failed.
%If I had a ( for every $ Reagan spent, what would I have?
Too many ('s.
%make love
make: don't know how to make love. Stop
%sleep with me
usage: sleep seconds
%got a light?
got: No match.
%man: why did you get a divorce?
man:: Too many arguments.

The HTML coding on that page is a little poor, so one of the commands got corrupted.  I retrieved it from page 36 of the Unix Hater's Handbook, which is a reccomended read, especially if you like Unix--it's a good representation of how far Unix has come, and how far it still has to go.

$PATH=pretending! /usr/bin/which sense
no output
$drink drink: not found
opener: not found
$mkdir matter; cat > matter
cannot create matter: Is a directory

--Beanie
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Michael Kennedy

I was browsing the internals of a couple of files one day and saw that someone setup the make file so that if you typed "make love" it replied with "not war?".  Kinda nifty.