• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Reason the CAOS page takes so long to load.

Started by R. Andrew Lamonica, 2004-01-20T10:59:46-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

R. Andrew Lamonica

This page takes a long time to load.  I see most users just press stop and type in a different site before it finishes.  

Because the slowdown only seems to affect the main page, I suspect it may be related to the news feeds.  Is it possible that these feeds are not being cached?  If this is the case it might help to take a few of them down.  For example, the page for InformIT takes a long time to load.  Maybe it is the reason for the slow down.  If you try taking it off and leaving the rest of the pages it we will see.

William Grim

I agree with Andy.  I would like to see InformIT news go, and possibly even the weather module.

From what I've noticed, the weather module takes the longest time to load.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

Admin

Hi,
  Thank you for the feed back. I will be removing the two modules. I will try to see if I can chache these two modules.

Admin

Jerry

These are good suggestions.

I vote to keep Wired News and Slashdot if it doesn't slow the page down too much.
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

Chris Swingler

I'd like to keep OSNews too, as long as it's not slowing the page down.
Christopher Swingler
CAOS Web Administrator

Stiffler

Has anybody ever clicked on the "Headlines" link in the main menu? There are some more feeds there that I never put on the start page (I think grimw would like those feeds). But honestly, I never thought the page loaded that slowly. Everytime I load it it comes up in 1 to 2 seconds, but never slow enough for me to stop the loading. I'm even accessing it from off campus, and y'all are on campus. Oh well.

Jon
Retired webmaster of CAOS.

William Grim

I vote to keep the three news feeds that are currently running up there as well.  I find them to be interesting and informative.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley