• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

FS: NEW 60 GB Western Digital WD600BB Hard Drive

Started by Guest, 2003-10-28T20:10:23-06:00 (Tuesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

This is a brand new, unused Western Digital hard drive.  I bought it in an attempt to replace a Dell drive.  I was unaware at the time that Dell modifies their hard drive controllers, so the machine would not recognize the drive.  It was plugged in, but never used.  It is the 'BB' version with a 2MB cache.  I'm asking $50 for it.  

Jim

Peter Motyka

I have never known Dell to tarnish thier hardware with proprietary interfaces.  Are you certain that you configured the master/slave/cableSelect jumpers appropriately on the hard drive when attaching it?

Peter
SIUE CS Alumni 2002
Grad Student, Regis University
Senior Engineer, Ping Identity
http://motyka.org

DaleDoe

I'll give you $50 for it.  I'm in need of some extra HDD space.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Lol, yes I am sure.  I spent some time on the phone with Dell about this one.  They modify the BIOS on the controllers now.  In order to boot, you must be using a Dell drive.

Dale, give me a call.  My number is 618-406-4761.  I'll get the drive to you ASAP.

Jim

William Grim

Weird.  I have trouble believing this, because Dell spends so much time to make sure their cases are accessible.

Going to proprietary means would only shoot them in the foot; I'm sure they learned from Packard Bell's fatal move.
William Grim
IT Associate, Morgan Stanley

If you don't believe me, call them.  I tried multiple,new drives on the Dell system, but none were recognized.  Then, magically, Dell sent me a free drive, and it was ready to be partitioned and formatted as soon as it was plugged in.

Dell Service & Support:  888-560-8324

DaleDoe

Remind me not to buy a Dell.  But I don't intend to anyway, since I build them myself anyway.

Unfortunately, after consulting my cash drawer and bank account, I may not be able to afford any nonessentials until after the end of the semester (hence my avitar).  I've got a few previously unexpected bills to pay.  Basically, I've got to see what my insurance bill is next Tuesday to know if I have enough.  So I guess don't hold it for me.  Sorry.:cry:  I'll let you know either way.
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

DaleDoe

Despite the fact that I need extra HDD space on my computer soon, it comes down to that or gas for my car.  And I commute to school.:-(

But if it doesn't take me too long and you still have the HDD, I will contact you once I get a job.  Hopefully that will be soon.:whistling:

Michael Kennedy

What were the full spcs of the drive?  Speed (5400/7200), etc?

Also, when is the warranty up?  I think the 2mb ones only have a 1 year warranty, so when does that 1 year expire?  Thanks- I might be interested in the drive pretty soon.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"