• Welcome to Computer Association of SIUE - Forums.

Microsoft to offer bounty on hackers

Started by Jerry, 2003-11-05T10:06:53-06:00 (Wednesday)

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

There is a new division at MS: Internet Bounty Hunters:

Microsoft will announce on Wednesday that it will offer two $250,000 bounties for information that leads to the arrest of the people who released the MSBlast worm and the SoBig virus, CNET News.com has learned.

Full story at: http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5102110.html?tag=nefd_top
"Make a Little Bird House in Your Soul" - TMBG...

DaleDoe

Wow.  I didn't know I... I mean they were worth that much! :-D   Just kidding.

I guess there is probably not a whole lot of solidarity in the hacking business.  $250k would get most people to turn in their own family.  But someone must know (or be able to figure out) who planted the viruses to be able to turn them in.

:idea:Maybe a half a million dollars would have been better spent PREVENTING the bug that made such viruses possible.  But I can't say much.  I don't buy Microsoft anyway.8-)
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -James Madison

Michael Kennedy

QuoteMaybe a half a million dollars would have been better spent PREVENTING the bug that made such viruses possible.

Such sensible logic seems to be lost on Microsoft.  Besides, actually killing the bugs internally doesn't garner as much press as a public lynching of the virus writers.
"If it ain't busted, don't fix it" is a very sound principal and remains so despite the fact that I have slavishly ignored it all my life. --Douglas Adams, "Salmon of Doubt"

Aaron Drake

QuoteMaybe a half a million dollars would have been better spent PREVENTING the bug that made such viruses possible.

Telling this to Microsoft would be like telling the RIAA that their efforts would be better spent finding artists with actual talent rather than suing P2P users. They'll just never understand. :roll:
"Cooda is a whatah?" - Dr. Wu